Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an average 18mph to 20mph rider and have been going the same routes for weeks.
I made some changes and went an average of 15mph and felt slower than ever and I am not sure why…maybe you can help me figure out why

Here are the following changes as well from my normal wheels

1) I upgraded to deeper rimmed carbon wheels from Tokyo Wheel 65mm rim in rear, 55mm rim in front
2) I also got a new Shimano 11-23 cassette installed since this is my second wheelset (my original cassette is 11-32)
3) I also put in brand new Vittoria Rubino Pro 25c tires (my old tires are Bontrager 23c)

What I don’t understand is why I felt so much slower. My cadence was slower even though I put the chain on the biggest rear cogs.
I normally just cruise at a solid cadence but I’m not sure if it’s the cassette that’s making me feel slower or the thicker tires or the wheels themselves!

Any thoughts on why I am so much slower?

Rob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Less power, more drag, more wind, brakes rubbing. wheels rubbing, lock ring put on incorrectly and rubbing, free hub binding.

Who knows.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Without a power meter to compare watts it could be a millon things. Put on your old wheels and try again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
I'l blame Hillary Clinton for this.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I also got a new Shimano 11-23 cassette installed since this is my second wheelset (my original cassette is 11-32)
My cadence was slower even though I put the chain on the biggest rear cogs.
Weird. I can't explain it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
2) I also got a new Shimano 11-23 cassette installed since this is my second wheelset (my original cassette is 11-32)
My cadence was slower even though I put the chain on the biggest rear cogs.
Considering that's a 9 tooth difference on the biggest cog, it's no surprise your cadence is slower

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You should go back to your original cassette.

11-23 from 11-32 is a pretty big change. You are trying to muscle through instead of using your aerobic capacity.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
You should go back to your original cassette.

11-23 from 11-32 is a pretty big change. You are trying to muscle through instead of using your aerobic capacity.
Ummm, an 11-32 cassette in the "mountains" of Florida is pretty much overkill.

I'd say there is some other factor at work, as others have mentioned. If he's in the 32 and running an average of 20MPH, he's quite the efficient spinner.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Speed sensor not picking up the spoke magnet consistently?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I am an average 18mph to 20mph rider and have been going the same routes for weeks.
I made some changes and went an average of 15mph and felt slower than ever and I am not sure why…maybe you can help me figure out why

Here are the following changes as well from my normal wheels

1) I upgraded to deeper rimmed carbon wheels from Tokyo Wheel 65mm rim in rear, 55mm rim in front
3) I also put in brand new Vittoria Rubino Pro 25c tires (my old tires are Bontrager 23c)

What I don’t understand is why I felt so much slower. My cadence was slower even though I put the chain on the biggest rear cogs.
I normally just cruise at a solid cadence but I’m not sure if it’s the cassette that’s making me feel slower or the thicker tires or the wheels themselves!

Any thoughts on why I am so much slower?

Rob
Really slower or just feel slower?

Unless something is wrong with the hub it isn't the wheels. Unless you have no idea how to inflate a tire it isn't the Rubino. Unless you stop pushing down even at less cadence (at 15-20mph is not that much power...<200W on flat) it isn't the cadence.

Average speed threads just hurt. Probably something you are not taking into account. Like more wind than you thought, sitting up higher, not pushing as hard due to lower cadence, stopping more frequently for lights etc...computer issue. Most likely a combo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My LBS installed my new cassette and wheel and I went riding that evening.

Actually, the next day, I noticed that the brakes were touching the sides of the wheel. The LBS must not have lined up the tires when putting the wheel back onto the rear forks.

Doh!

I lined it up and will be going on my regular Saturday morning ride and we'll see how it goes.

I really would like to see the 11-23 work nicely for me and experience the true benefits of these expensive wheels...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts