Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
have you tried better pads for better performance?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have these same brakes and wasn't happy with their performance, but then I adjusted the tension on the allen bolts that controls the brake pivots and now think they are pretty much equal to ultegra 6700 brakes I have on a different bike. Also I changed the brake pads to Koolstop salmon pads; cheap but good.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
Not sure going for tektro 741 would be such an upgrade, they're not that much different compared to the 580, if you're going to upgrade, might as well make an upgrade that will be worth it IMO. I'd look at other brands. Tektro isn't a bad company, but they make entry-level components (TRP is the same company but makes their higher-end models). What makes a brake feel better and have better power is usually the quality of the pads but also the geometry of the caliper and it's stiffness (the brake parts themselves but also less slop/play in the pivots). Shimano brakes are quite good, Dura-Ace are great but even 105 would be a good upgrade I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well from the sounds of it with my stock levers there just isn't much of an upgrade I can that would be worth it. So I'm just going to play with a few different pads this summer and see what feels best.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get Ultegra, that's what I did. Those Tekto brakes suck! The spring on my back brake wore out around 800 miles. My wife also has a SS 105 and her's wore out as well at less than a 1000 miles.

Ultegra's are about $150 for front and rear. Big improvement and bolted up just fine.

v/r

Ajost

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have these same brakes and wasn't happy with their performance, but then I adjusted the tension on the allen bolts that controls the brake pivots and now think they are pretty much equal to ultegra 6700 brakes I have on a different bike. Also I changed the brake pads to Koolstop salmon pads; cheap but good.
Can you explain more how you adjusted the allen bolt tensions for the pivots. I just picked up my caad 10 5 and want to help these stock brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.