Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a Trek 2300 (alu. w/carbon seat stays/fork) w/a 105 set-up & a Bontrager Race Lite crank for about 3 yrs. I just purchased a Trek Equinox (full carbon) w/DA throughout for triathlons. The difference is incredible. For example, I've noticed that even on the bullhorns of the Equinox, I experience less pain in the legs going uphill than I do w/the 2300. Since I can't buy a carbon road bike (Equinox was $5K!), I'm wondering if swapping the crank will make a difference. If so, would a 105 vs. Ultegra make a significant difference.

Any thoughts appreciated.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm not following the relationship between your road bike, your tri bike, stiffness, leg pain and wanting to change out your road bike's cranks. I don't see a logical flow or rationale.

Care to provide some more detail or a rationale?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I'm just wondering if my old road bike is... old & whether some kind of upgrade can help make the bike more effecient. I think the leg pain is indicative of a loss of power. In all... the tri bike is just really fast!

· Registered
650 Posts
porfirio said:
I suppose I'm just wondering if my old road bike is... old & whether some kind of upgrade can help make the bike more effecient. I think the leg pain is indicative of a loss of power. In all... the tri bike is just really fast!
That makes absolutely no sense. Leg pain is indicative of inadequate training, not a loss of power. If anything, your al bike is probably stiffer than the carbon so I highly doubt that power loss is your problem.

· Registered
995 Posts
I've done alot of switching components and found that putting a thomson x4 stem on my bike really increased stiffness while standing. I had put a set of oval concepts r500 (i think) bars on my bike and they were really stiff compared to my itm 260's. What I ddin't like about the oval concepts bar was that it made for a brutal ride while just riding along on the hoods. I'll sell you the oval concepts bars cheap if you are interested, they're size 44.

I had a 1993 trek 2100 aluminium/carbon long ago and it was the worst bike I ever owned. I think that it may have been defective because it didn't seem to ride as nice as the next size larger bike, which I test rode before ordering mine. My frame had a dead flexy feel to it which really rode like crap. I'm sure they improved the ride of the bikes over the years.

If your crankset has outboard bearings, I can't imagine you can gain much stiffness there. You might want to switch the wheels with your new bike to see if there is much difference there. My experience with forks is that the difference in stiffness is most evident while cornering at high speed, not standing climbing.

· Registered
995 Posts
Are you joking? If not could you explain how you've come to the conclusion that a stiff stem would not create a stiffer interface between the steer tube and the handlebar, which is the section of the bike that gets huge loads of torque on it while standing and climbing or sprinting? Have you ever switched out seperate components on your bike such as bars or stem, and compared the change in ride to the proir component?

It's not too often that someone is as brash as you, who has done alot of wrenching and swapping components on their bikes over the years. I'm guessing you aren't the exception to the rule. I think that you need to relax on the blanket statements and unless you've compared alot of different components on the same bike, leave the keyboard alone.

· Registered
332 Posts
If the frame isn't stiff, then that's what you need to change. A crank won't do anything if the frame's flexing.

But, to agree with the others, I think leg pain is more indicative of bad or poor fit. Adjust your position on the bike now that you know the tt bike is more comfortable.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I was using an FSA gossamer crankset with a Bikesdirect frame.
When I upgraded to an FSA carbon pro elite crankset, there was a
barely distinguishable improvement in bottom bracket flex, which is
what I assume you're talking about here, although the stem of course
also affects overall rigidity. This year I upgraded to an 07 TCR Advanced
frame and the increase in stiffness is astonishing, it's like pedaling into
a cement block! Point is, the frame bottom bracket design is by far the
most influencial factor in bottom bracket rigidity. Stiffer tires! Love that one.

· Registered
125 Posts
tt bikes have steeper seat tube angles, placing you more over top of the bb. That is why they feel fast. Maybe try a no-set back post on your road bike, see how that feels.

Or yes you could go with the stiffer tires.........

· Registered
650 Posts
twinkles said:
Are you joking? If not could you explain how you've come to the conclusion that a stiff stem would not create a stiffer interface between the steer tube and the handlebar, which is the section of the bike that gets huge loads of torque on it while standing and climbing or sprinting? Have you ever switched out seperate components on your bike such as bars or stem, and compared the change in ride to the proir component?

It's not too often that someone is as brash as you, who has done alot of wrenching and swapping components on their bikes over the years. I'm guessing you aren't the exception to the rule. I think that you need to relax on the blanket statements and unless you've compared alot of different components on the same bike, leave the keyboard alone.
First off, lets get something straight. This thread is a question of physics. It has nothing to do with experiance, or "feel." You have demonstrated, through your idiotic suggestions, arguments and "proof" for those arguments, that you have absolutely no understanding of physics or even how physics relates to the OP's question. So unless you would like to share with us deflection measurements for a variety of stems and can prove the existence of a meaningful difference, then I would suggest you stop making suggestions. A stem effectively acts as a lever. How stiff the front end of your bike has relatively little to do with your stem and a lot to do with the material and build of your fork's steerer. In the future, don't tell people that they don't know what they're talking about when you are in fact basing your argument on guesswork and misinformation.

· Registered
681 Posts
Crank Stiffness

phoehn9111 said:
I was using an FSA gossamer crankset with a Bikesdirect frame. When I upgraded to an FSA carbon pro elite crankset, there was a
barely distinguishable improvement in bottom bracket flex
That's funny, Cancellara prefers the FSA gossamer because he thinks it's stiffer.

CyclingNews said:
Surprisingly, however, he also foregoes the de rigueur carbon fiber crankset for FSA's decidedly mid-level (and substantially heavier) Gossamer model.
According to Team CSC mechanic Alejandro Torralbo, Cancellara began using the Gossamer cranks during the Spring classics, but grew more comfortable on them than carbon ones because he feels that they're stiffer. We have our doubts as to whether or not a bench test would support that statement, but with the raise of a brow and wry grin, Torralbo explained in simpler terms: "He's a strong man."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/tech/probike.php?id=/tech/2007/probikes/tour_cancellara_csc_cervelo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.