Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
For the Horde!
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 105 5600 shifters, FD, RD and I think the cassette.

Can I upgrade 1 by 1 (I'm poor right now) to 6700 Ultegra with out any issues? I'm starting with the FD because of certain sales right now ($46) and its the cheapest tbh. Next would be the RD or shifters depending on how my next moth goes.

·
For the Horde!
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ph0enix said:
You're better off saving up and buying everything at once. Otherwise, it will be more expensive.

Thank you for the response .. but that's not what I'm asking here. Will these work together with out causing any problems?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Fluidprawn said:
Thank you for the response .. but that's not what I'm asking here. Will these work together with out causing any problems?
No it won't cause any problems. By the same token derailer changes won't cause any improvements either (unless your current one is worn out).

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
They are compatible.

Is this the same bike you bought a few weeks back? You will not notice a significant difference except you'll have spent $$ for the labeling. It's your $$ so if it makes you happy to have Ultegra labels...go ahead. IMO, ride the bike till parts really need to be replaced. 105 is a fine group set by itself.

If you desire a change in the characteristics of the bike, start with the wheels and tires.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kuma601 said:
They are compatible.

Is this the same bike you bought a few weeks back? You will not notice a significant difference except you'll have spent $$ for the labeling. It's your $$ so if it makes you happy to have Ultegra labels...go ahead. IMO, ride the bike till parts really need to be replaced. 105 is a fine group set by itself.

If you desire a change in the characteristics of the bike, start with the wheels and tires.
Ditto. Spend the money on the wheels and tires.

·
Registered
407 Posts
As others have stated I think you will be surprised as you do the swap how little difference there will be. I had a combination of Ultegra and 105 on a previous bike and started swapping over to full Ultegra...no difference. Not sure what year your bike is, but if within the last few years the difference between the two groupsets has shrunk. Now if you were going to Dura Ace, that might be a different story.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Ease up.

Fluidprawn said:
Yes, they will work together. And yes, it's a silly idea unless showing off trade labels is important to you. Everyone here is just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have two bikes, one w/ 105/ultegra mix and a second one with new Ultegra6700. The biggest differences I have between the two is the front derailer on the 6700, which shifts like a dream with no chain rub not matter how cross-chain I shift it, and the throw of the shifters.

I don't think you will notice and difference in upgrading a rear derailer though. Besides shaving a few grams, they are pretty indistinguishable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mtn2RoadConvert said:
As others have stated I think you will be surprised as you do the swap how little difference there will be. I had a combination of Ultegra and 105 on a previous bike and started swapping over to full Ultegra...no difference. Not sure what year your bike is, but if within the last few years the difference between the two groupsets has shrunk. Now if you were going to Dura Ace, that might be a different story.
I bought a used cross bike with circa 2005 Dura Ace. No noticeable difference in shifting performance from my 2007 Tiagra build on my road bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts