Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading from Ultegra 6800 to Dura-Ace 9000 (9001 shifters) later this week... current cables have ~2400 miles on them. If the look okay, should I keep the current cables or go ahead and swap?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I would replace the cables and housings, which will make a bigger difference than the new shifters. You will need to run shift and brake cables through the new shifters and trying to run the old ones with smooshed ends could be problematic. If you have the bar unwrapped anyway, replace the housings.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I'd swap.

The new cables don't last as long if you ask me. That hairy polymer crap gets abraded off anywhere there's friction and ends up gunking things up. It can end up being a real disaster. I've often times scraped it all off with my fingernails if I was going to re-run the same cable. I'll try to remove part that's all bunched up and frayed and it'll end up with me just stripping the whole cable. Real hassle. I'm back to mostly just teflon cables now.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
+1 on the polymer cable coating gunking and gumming things up. I really like the black hard coated teflon cables from Jagwires, Sram, Bontrager, et al.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Personally I'd use them another few thousand miles. It's definitely true about that crap they put on the cables coming off......but at 2400 miles I think it's to late to do anything about that. If my experience is any indication.....that's already happened.

·
Registered
681 Posts
New cables feel wonderful, but I have had problems with the polymer coated ones too. If you have the cables, install them, and use them for a season, then swap them out for a set of Jagwires.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Upgrading from Ultegra 6800 to Dura-Ace 9000 (9001 shifters) later this week... current cables have ~2400 miles on them. If the look okay, should I keep the current cables or go ahead and swap?
I'm stunned that people think these cables need replacing, but I don't have experience with Shimano stuff so I'm probably talking out of my hat. All I know is that I expect Campy cables to last 20K-30K miles or longer. But that's just me.

I guess the question revolves around two things: 1) as you asked, what do they look like (inspect the ends that are in the shifters particularly as Shimano has a reputation of failure at that point) and 2) what has been your experience with previous cable sets. Your local riding conditions and how much shifting you do can greatly affect cable life.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If he feels he has too much money, he should change them. Otherwise it's kind of an annual deal with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If he feels he has too much money, he should change them. Otherwise it's kind of an annual deal with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I'd change the shifters and keep the brake cables.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
seems like there's still some life in those cables.

2400 mi is only a few months of riding for a lot of folks...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Don't your shifters come w/ shift cables installed or at least in the box? Personally I never re-use any shift cable, I'd replace them. After 2400mi I'd replace the housing as well.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
if i'm upgrading I'd change the cables too to feel the full effect. Why spend all that money and ride with old cables that will only get changed sooner or later anyway. Compared to the upgrade cost this is a small item. In my view no time to start getting cheap.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
At 2400 miles, the cables and housings are probably still good.

HOWEVER, change the cables anyway! Why? You already have to remove the old cables anyway. You are spending good $$$ on 9000 shifters, so why put everything back together only to have to take it all apart in another 2K miles just to save a little $ on cables? Changing internally routed cables is a byotch.

Be sure to get good stainless steel cables, not the cheaper galvanized cables. Some say the PTFE coated cables "shed" their coating after awhile, but I have yet to see that happen.

·
15,563 Posts
At 2400 miles, the cables and housings are probably still good.

HOWEVER, change the cables anyway! Why? You already have to remove the old cables anyway. You are spending good $$$ on 9000 shifters, so why put everything back together only to have to take it all apart in another 2K miles just to save a little $ on cables? Changing internally routed cables is a byotch.

Be sure to get good stainless steel cables, not the cheaper galvanized cables. Some say the PTFE coated cables "shed" their coating after awhile, but I have yet to see that happen.
ALL coated cables...Gore, Teflon, NASA goose ****...they all eventually lose their coating.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies, not 100% sure how cheap/lazy I'll be yet :) .

Do retail boxed shifters usually come with cables/housing? That's what I ordered. And beyond that I have an unopened Jagwire set.

But that said, I think the cables on my bike are already Jagwire as the housing says "Jagwire LEX-SL"... so either Scott bikes come with Jagwire or the mechanic who built up the bike might have switched to it (bike was intended for one of the shop's sponsored racers).

PS Everything on the 6800 is working fine, I'm just upgrading because I'm an idiot slave to marketing and there was a "sale".

·
15,563 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, not 100% sure how cheap/lazy I'll be yet :) .

Do retail boxed shifters usually come with cables/housing? That's what I ordered. And beyond that I have an unopened Jagwire set.

But that said, I think the cables on my bike are already Jagwire as the housing says "Jagwire LEX-SL"... so either Scott bikes come with Jagwire or the mechanic who built up the bike might have switched to it (bike was intended for one of the shop's sponsored racers).

PS Everything on the 6800 is working fine, I'm just upgrading because I'm an idiot slave to marketing and there was a "sale".
They do.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
ALL coated cables...Gore, Teflon, NASA goose ****...they all eventually lose their coating.

Eventually yes, point taken. I usually change mine long before that happens in order to prevent breakage inside the shifter. I have yet to have that happen, but it isn't uncommon with some Shimano shifters.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
As some one who shifts a lot and breaks rear shift cables around 2500 miles I'd replace that one and leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm stunned that people think these cables need replacing, but I don't have experience with Shimano stuff so I'm probably talking out of my hat. All I know is that I expect Campy cables to last 20K-30K miles or longer. But that's just me.
My Campagnolo rear shift cable life dropped from 4500 miles to 2500 (at which point they've broken strands or separated completely) when they moved from a shallow bend in the housing entering vertically to a tight 90 degree guide in Ultra Shift lever bodies.

I avoid unpleasant surprises by replacing that after 2000 miles with new housing at 4000 (a little before it goes high friction) which is about every 10 and 20 weeks respectively.

The other cables last almost indefinitely.

I guess the question revolves around two things:

2) what has been your experience with previous cable sets. Your local riding conditions and how much shifting you do can greatly affect cable life.
Right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts