Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This is my first bike that I got on the cheap and I've been slowly upgrading parts on it with Ultegra SLs. The last thing to upgrade are my shifters. The old owner mixed them up and one is Ultegra and one is Tiagra STI. I'm looking to get Ultegra SL shifters to match my group set. Most of the ones I'm seeing are 2x10 where I'm currently running 2x9 with that setup.

My Questions is:

I know I will have to get a new cassette but will my Shimano Ultegra 6600 SL RD be compatible with a 10 speed? I'm running it on 9 right now and it works. Would I need to switch anything else? As long as I get the 2x10 Shifter and Cassette.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Match the shifter and cassette. Current derailleur will work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes you need to match the shifters to the cassette. The rear and front derailures will work ok, I say "ok" because you are now going to be running a more narrow chain through your derailures that were designed for a wider 9 speed chain. your shifting won't be as nice and crisp until you change your derailures to 10 speed ones. just a thought for you.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bikewagonjohn, he has a 10 speed derailleur now, a 6600.

vlad2010, you can even keep the 9 speed cassette if you want. By using the alternate cable route configuration on your derailleur the pull ratio will be correct for the 9 speed cassette and setting the derailleur limit stops correctly will give you the 8 clicks required for 9 cogs. Obviously if you get 10 speed shifters AND a 10 speed cassette at the same time everything will function as it should with the standard cable routing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Please correct me but I believe you need a 10 speed crank, cassette, and chain. I was thinking about that upgrade for my Fuji but it will be too expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

This is my first bike that I got on the cheap and I've been slowly upgrading parts on it with Ultegra SLs. The last thing to upgrade are my shifters. The old owner mixed them up and one is Ultegra and one is Tiagra STI. I'm looking to get Ultegra SL shifters to match my group set. Most of the ones I'm seeing are 2x10 where I'm currently running 2x9 with that setup.

My Questions is:

I know I will have to get a new cassette but will my Shimano Ultegra 6600 SL RD be compatible with a 10 speed? I'm running it on 9 right now and it works. Would I need to switch anything else? As long as I get the 2x10 Shifter and Cassette.
Hi, I am riding a 2001 Litespeed Classic with the original Ultegra ST 6500 9 speed groupset. Although it shifts fine, I wonder if I am missing something by not upgrading to a newer 6700 or 6800 group? I also have the 12-25T CS 6500 Cassette. With my advancing age of 68 years, I can also use another lower cog to 28T and maybe a 50 x 34 front sprockets. Finally, will the new Ultegra group 10 and 11 speed cassettes fit my frame and Ritchey 0-system real wheel? Thanks,

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts
Hi, I am riding a 2001 Litespeed Classic with the original Ultegra ST 6500 9 speed groupset. Although it shifts fine, I wonder if I am missing something by not upgrading to a newer 6700 or 6800 group? I also have the 12-25T CS 6500 Cassette. With my advancing age of 68 years, I can also use another lower cog to 28T and maybe a 50 x 34 front sprockets. Finally, will the new Ultegra group 10 and 11 speed cassettes fit my frame and Ritchey 0-system real wheel? Thanks,
With 9 speed you can get an 11/27 cassette. With 10 speed and your rear derailleur you can use an 11/28. You can for sure go to 10 w/ your current rear wheel, but not 11. Your frame is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts
Performance is good, as it always is w/ Shimano. The main difference is the shape of the lever body on the new parts. Most people find it much more comfortable.

·
Registered
960 Posts
in my personal experience there is not enough difference between 9 and 10 speed to justify the expense. With my campy groups, I will upgrade when 9 speed specific parts become hard to get, or the shifters fail.

·
Happily absent RBR Member
3,940 Posts
yes you need to match the shifters to the cassette. The rear and front derailures will work ok, I say "ok" because you are now going to be running a more narrow chain through your derailures that were designed for a wider 9 speed chain. your shifting won't be as nice and crisp until you change your derailures to 10 speed ones. just a thought for you.
This is false. Rear derailleurs are not built with a specific chain in mind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.