Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CAAD3 Saeco Team replica frame, circa 1998, and I'm just sick of getting beaten to a pulp on long rides... The rear triangle is a little on the stiff side :(

I'm looking at some used CAAD5 and CAAD7 frames, and I'm wondering--is the jump from CAAD3 to CAAD5 worth it? I absolutely love every other characteristic of the Cannondale frame, and I've heard the newer generations offer a softer ride...

Advice?
DrPete

·
Registered
660 Posts
I updated a Caad 3 frame 2 years and have the same issues...

drpete said:
I have a CAAD3 Saeco Team replica frame, circa 1998, and I'm just sick of getting beaten to a pulp on long rides... The rear triangle is a little on the stiff side :(

I'm looking at some used CAAD5 and CAAD7 frames, and I'm wondering--is the jump from CAAD3 to CAAD5 worth it? I absolutely love every other characteristic of the Cannondale frame, and I've heard the newer generations offer a softer ride...

Advice?
DrPete

I outfitted a Caad 3 road frame with Chorus 10 and some nice Ksriums SLs and have the same issues you speak of the rear triangle just tranmites all the road shock straight up the seat tube to my arse and low back - I don't have low back issues but on long rides where there are section of rough pavement it really beats you up... I have also thought about an upgrade to a later Dale - my friends who have them say that they are not particularly forgiving - that from one friend who has a Caad 5, but he says it more forgiving than my bike which he has ridden. it seems like Tit or Carbon Fiber would be a safer bet .

To me, if you really want a VERY comfortable frame a C dale might not be the ticket un;less it has a CF rear triangle - but if you just want it to be marginally more comfortable - a newer Dale has all the things we both love about em + a little more forgiving ride.

THats my 2 cents,

-Nik

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
A good friend went from 3 to 5...

I have a close friend that went from a CAAD3 to a CAAD5. He's also a former shop wrench (ie: not just some random opinion). He did a clean swap of parts. The only thing that changes was the frame and fork. He said the difference was very noticeable.

I've had both the 5 and 7. The newer frames will still offer a beating on long rides or rough roads. OTOH, they are more forgiving than earlier frames but still offer the positives.

IMO, if the C'dales are beating you up that bad, it may be worth going elsewhere. Like I said, the newer stuff is improved...but they are still Dales.

·
Administrator
12,978 Posts
IMHO: even the CAAD4 frames where a big improvement ride wise. The CAAD 5's and 7's rider pretty nice indeed for an AL frame. A Ti frame or and Al/carbon mix will get you the nicest ride with a bit of a weight penalty. All carbon frames can be all over the map, depending on the brand, model and year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got s Caad5

Ive got a Caad5 now and love it, before ive had carbon rear end bikes and to be truthfull I think the Caad5 rides better. The cheaper carbon rear ends are so stiff I think they ride worse than alloy. I cant comment on full carbon top end frames but have been told they are better. Look at seat, seat post(ive gone easton carbon and felt a difference), tyres etc before putting out big dollars on a new frame.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Same here

Hi,

I ride a Cannondale Cadd 4. I have the same issues as you. Which is why I am in the market for a Titanium frame.

I love the C'dale for what it is and will continue to use it for races. It is stiff and fast and climbs exceptionally well. However, for all that stiffness and race breed, you have to pay a penalty for it on longer rougher rides.

I would try a pair of new tires before you buy a new frame. I changed from 19mm to 23mm and noticed such a big difference. If you run 110psi rather than 120tpi, you will also feel a great change.

Regards,
Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts