Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a nice used specialized allez with 9 speed, triple chain tiagra gears. I would like to upgrade to 105's or maybe even ultegra. I just saw an add for an ultegra long cage rear derallure the will work with 10 speed or 9 speed. What is the compatibility of shimano components, do I have to change the cassette or the shifters or are these components fairly interchangable...I would even consider keepin the front tiagra, since It is not used as often as the rear.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
echelonphoto said:
I just got a nice used specialized allez with 9 speed, triple chain tiagra gears. I would like to upgrade to 105's or maybe even ultegra. I just saw an add for an ultegra long cage rear derallure the will work with 10 speed or 9 speed. What is the compatibility of shimano components, do I have to change the cassette or the shifters or are these components fairly interchangable...I would even consider keepin the front tiagra, since It is not used as often as the rear.
In general, all the 9-speed Tiagra, 105, Ultegra are compatible. You will have to ask for specific items because there are just too many. The 9/10-speed rear derailleur will work.

Be aware that upgrading is going to give you minimal performance improvement and maximum cost. But if you got it, spend it.

TF

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the chart, Dr. john. I am having a little trouble understanding it. Turbo turtle...I am planning to buy some used ones from used bike warehouse. Are all nine speed rear cassettes the same, or is there an advantage to getting a better one. My tiagra shifts are kind of rough. I heard 105 or ultegras are much better.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Only replace parts when they're worn and don't go higher than 105, save all the bucks you can to buy a shiny new Ultegra/Rival/Centaur equiped bike and keep this one as a bad weather ride. This ride you bought will last you a good few years to save for a new one and you won't regret when you do.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
FWIW-
I've upgraded some Tiagra components by waiting for great deals, so it did not cost much (wrench my own bikes). I found that my Tiagra FD (triple) was not the best. Upgrading FD 105 was significantly better. After 1500mi I felt my Tiagra brifters were not a smooth or precise as when new, esp trimming the FD. Got a sick deal on some Ultegra STI's. Big improvement.
Never had Tiagra RD, so cannot help there. I did upgrade my RD from 105 to Ultegra (both 9spd) & saw little difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.