Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a stock san jose.

After upgrading to tubular wheels what component, if any, would you upgrade next for better performance?

My first thought was brakes but since you should barely be using them maybe cranks and bottem bracket?

I assume once you upgrade those everything else that gets upgraded is for a drop in weight more than anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Paul Components brakes, but if your San Jose came with Cane Creeks, those are good too. The San Jose is not a lightweight, so like you said, it's about weight (to a degree). Personally, I do not have the " lots of carbon" budget. I'd be careful about spending money when you don't have to. The San Jose as is - is a great bike. Oh, the stock freewheel blows. I'd recommend a White Industries, and a good steel front ring. Your drivetrain will last forever.

Barely using brakes? I use the hell out of mine.....is this an offroad or urban ride?

-B

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
def fw... that shimano could die at any moment and it would suck if were to happen in a race (happened to me on mtn bike). brake pads maybe, no real need to upgrade the cane creeks. cranks? if you got nuthin else to do with your $

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Third the WI FW. KMC S10 stainless SS chain. Maybe a Surly stainless chainring as well, if you don't mind the weight penalty.

I like my Paul's, but at the current price I have probably bought my last set.

CF fork could save considerable weight.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Just bought some Tektro cr720's. Even with having to get koolstop pads for them I am still at less than 50% the cost of the Paul's. I doubt they're worth it....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah its definitely a heavy bike but I dont mind that all that much. I already replaced the free wheel last year but I guess I will upgrade to a WI this year when I get my new wheels.

New chain and free wheel to go with new wheels; nice to know I dont have to go very far away from stock to have a nice race bike.

Now I can put extra money towards a geared race bike!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
434 Posts
i still use the cheap freewheels and haven't ever had an issue, though them time will come. some are at least 7 years old. sram 8-speed chains work well also. as long as you have decent hubs, brakes and BB / crank, there's not much more to the bike. gotta love simplicity.

carbon fork could be nice, no question. i think with cross, you just want to be sure you have decent tubies and wheels, and you should be good to go, as long as the frame fits well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.