Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine and I started riding recreationally last year. I caught the bug harder then he did and two bikes later I have a light 10 speed. My buddy is still pushing a 20 year old 6 speed. He has alot of trouble with the inclines (not long or steep hills). I looked at his bike and he has a Shimano 600 drivetrain with a 52/42 front and a 25T as his biggest cog in the back. Will the Shimano 600 FD work with a 39 inner ring? If not can a 105 FD be installed on a bike with down tube shifters? Are there 6 or possibly 7 speed cassettes or free wheel available that would have a bigger gear. I am not sure whether it is a freewheel or freehub.

He doesn't want to spend alot because this will be a temporary fix. If his work picks up he is getting a new bike and if not he hopefully will get in better shape.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Considering that this is supposed to be a short term fix I think that changing the cluster to a 7 speed with a 28T top gear will give the most bang for the buck. I told him to call the bike shop to get a price. They can figure out the chain and RD compatibility issues better than we can. The only problem is if he goes into the shop he will probably walk out with a new $4,000 carbon bike that he can't afford right now. Not my problem though. Except then I may have to upgrade to keep up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts