Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good, hand built backup wheelset that I've used periodically over the years (Shimano Ultegra 9 spd hubs - 2005/6) and we recently upgraded our bikes.

From what I can tell, the best solution would be to replace the hub/freewheel with a 11 spd Shimano Ultegra hub. It doesn't look like swapping just the freehub is an option.

Rebuilding the wheels isn't a problem (although I'm probably a bit rusty), but I wanted to see if there were other solutions out there. They're not expensive wheels, but they are very good backups in case I need them and don't have the time to do repairs.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe the wheel will need to be re-dished to accept the new free hub and line up correctly.

I purchased a set of Falcum Racing 5's at good price (under $300) which is 11spd compatible.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, they would need to be re-dished, which isn't a problem. I'd rather just replace the hub and rebuild if that's my "worst case". The wheelset I have was custom built for racing years ago, so I'd like to keep them if possible as a spare set.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,430 Posts
I can't imagine this could even be done. An 11 speed freehub is wider than an 8-9-10 speed freehub. Keep in mind that the total hub width must remain the same (130mm) in order to fit between the chain stays of the bike. So the only variable you can have here is the distance between the hub flanges.

You will need to replace the hub.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
You may not be able to reuse the old spokes. Some builders only use new spokes anyway.
In that case, are the 10-year-old rims worth saving?

I'd probably sell the old wheels and build either a cheap backup set to replace them or that high-end set you've always wanted.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Buy a replacement NEW 11spd wheel and if you want to keep using the original 10spd wheels with the 11spd setup.... Buy a separate new 11spd cassette, remove one the individual sprockets and spacers, put it all back together... you will need to adjust your limit screw when changing between to the 10psd and 11spd

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
It's hardly worth replacing the hub and the spokes (and you will need spokes) plus the cost of getting it built (if you won't build it yourself). All you're saving is a used rim. Buy a whole new rear wheel and sell the old one on Kijiji.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,430 Posts
It's hardly worth replacing the hub and the spokes (and you will need spokes) plus the cost of getting it built (if you won't build it yourself). All you're saving is a used rim. Buy a whole new rear wheel and sell the old one on Kijiji.

True. Unless you are a n00bie wheelbuilder and want the practice. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts