Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading to a mix (whatever I can get on eBay) of SRAM Force and Rival on my drive train (shifters, ders, cassette and chain). I can't seem to find the 11-28 cassette anywhere (I currently run a 12-27 with a 50-34 crank and am looking for a little easier spin on some big hills). Anyone have any experience running the 11-28? Is it no good? Shifts poorly?

·
Registered
491 Posts
my mistake, sram does make an 10sp 11-28 cassette. I did not realize it had come out yet. IRD is the other one I was thinking of, I have set up a few bikes for others with IRD cassettes and they seem to have worked just fine. Probably a solid second choice to the sram cassette

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
LyncStar said:
I'm upgrading to a mix (whatever I can get on eBay) of SRAM Force and Rival on my drive train (shifters, ders, cassette and chain). I can't seem to find the 11-28 cassette anywhere (I currently run a 12-27 with a 50-34 crank and am looking for a little easier spin on some big hills). Anyone have any experience running the 11-28? Is it no good? Shifts poorly?
Consider that going from a 27 to a 28 would allow your cadence to increase by less than 2 rpm if you were slogging up a hill at a cadence of 50. If you were at 70 rpm, then your cadence would go up by less than 3 rpm. Whether this is meaningful is open to question.

A 50/12 allows you to spin out at around 35 mph, conincidentally just about the speed where it is faster to tuck on a downhill rather than pedal. Whether you need an 11 is a question only you can answer.

Going to a wider range cassette always means that you end up with larger jumps between the cogs, and some people don't like this. E.g. if you lose the 16t cog, you have a 13% jump between the 15 and the 17. It's all about the tradeoffs.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Mark H said:
I had a 11-28, but went back to a 12-27. I didn't have any shifting issues, I just didn't like the spacing on the 11-28.

A short cage will work fine.
Regular short cage with a compact crank up front works flawlessly for me. Been riding that set-up for about two years now. I've used a 12-27 to good effect as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.