Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
usacycling is not getting back to me quick enough. Need some clarification.

last year I got my license and was registered as CAT4 since it was my first official race season.

After a few cat 4 races I started racing in some Cat3 races.

I let me license expire and need to renew and i want to register under Cat 3. However my understanding from reading the rule book is upgrading is based on points and race experience and the decision to upgrade me is in the hands of USA cyling.

Am I correct? or can I just register cat 3 and play dumb?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Contact your local (MABRA?) USAC rep. I think you just have to supply the info of 10 races to request the upgrade (like CAT5->4 on the road).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah..I did and have not heard back yet. I'm inpatient.

Stupid me too, first few races I just paid the day of to race and 1/2 way through the season I got my license. Not smart I know.... so I don't have 10 races logged in yet.

worse case scenario I suppose I could register under cat4 again and race cat3? I mean I did that last year.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In the past, MABRA & VAC, would let you race in the class you feel appropriate despite what your license said. The "A" race were usually the CAT1/2/3 roadies, "B" were the 3/4 and "C" were 4/5. Last year in VA, they switched to CAT 1/2, 3, and 4 races. Since some didn't put their upgrade in prior to the first races, there were some "A" racers in the CAT 3.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Email your race resume (including races w/ a 1-day license) to your local association rep. Upgrades are based on a point structure (avail at usacycling.org) so it's meant to be an objective vs subjective decision. But it's typically your local association that makes the call (their info is also on USAC site). If you renew as a cx4 and your upgrade comes through, they'll send you an official looking sticker to put on your license. (You could also try a call to USAC directly--I've found the folks there to be very helpful.) Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you renew your license send a copy of the old license in with the all the required paper work. The copy shows that you have already raced and currently a cat # in whatever part of cycling and make sure you fill the paper work right when it ask for the race cat(s) that is on your license so they match.
As for upgrades that is usually done through the the local USAC assoication by one the officials if you race in a USAC area. Not sure the other cycling governing bodies( ABR, ORBA, etc.). Sometimes it takes while for USAC to process or the official is busy lots of other upgrades and other life stuff. When I did my cat 4 to 3 for CX races after my first 7-8 races, I just sent in the list of races I did in with the upgrade request. Officials then usually check it to the race lists/results for the day to make everything good that is on the upgrade list you sent them. Once approved then usually send the upgrade sticker by mail, depending on how fast the mail is a factor. Also the upgrade official might give it to you at a race if that official is there and when their are not busy. They should also email you once the upgrade is approved or declined.

·
Registered
75 Posts
quatre24 said:
When you renew your license send a copy of the old license in with the all the required paper work. The copy shows that you have already raced and currently a cat # in whatever part of cycling and make sure you fill the paper work right when it ask for the race cat(s) that is on your license so they match.
As for upgrades that is usually done through the the local USAC assoication by one the officials if you race in a USAC area. Not sure the other cycling governing bodies( ABR, ORBA, etc.). Sometimes it takes while for USAC to process or the official is busy lots of other upgrades and other life stuff. When I did my cat 4 to 3 for CX races after my first 7-8 races, I just sent in the list of races I did in with the upgrade request. Officials then usually check it to the race lists/results for the day to make everything good that is on the upgrade list you sent them. Once approved then usually send the upgrade sticker by mail, depending on how fast the mail is a factor. Also the upgrade official might give it to you at a race if that official is there and when their are not busy. They should also email you once the upgrade is approved or declined.
Slightly off topic ..how do you get a license in the first place. is there a website with a list of local reps?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
http://www.usacycling.org/
Just pony up the $$ and you're golden. You'll have to register as Cat 4 for cross. You will be able to print a "right to race" paper so that if you have a race before you get your license (in the mail), you'll be able to race.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It depends on the district's rep. Ours is really good about getting back to people quick. But I could see some reps considering a cross upgrade inquiry to be low priority this time of year, not that it makes it right. I would put the request in again because I am about as patient as you are.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
How many races do you have, total? If it's less than 10 starts he/she may just say "no". As for our rep, he gets back to you in a day or so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Read the Rules

From the rule book-
1D5. Cyclocross Conversion
Cyclocross categories may also be upgraded by conversion from a rider‟s earned road or cross country category. (A table is in teh rule book, and it didn't copy over)

If you are a USAC CAT II mtb racer, you can get a CAT III CX license.

NOTE: Did you know that if you register in a USAC santioned event, on a 1 day or annual, you are responsible for knowing the rules? Officials are only responsible for enforcing the rules.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Read The Rules

Thanks C Cow

I appreciate you taking the time to copy and paste. Next time I have a question on the rules I'll PM you.

no reason in the world why I can't ask for an upgrade. I raced most my races last season in cat 3/4 and handled myself just fine. If they say no than fine.

back off.

C Cow said:
From the rule book-
1D5. Cyclocross Conversion
Cyclocross categories may also be upgraded by conversion from a rider‟s earned road or cross country category. (A table is in teh rule book, and it didn't copy over)

If you are a USAC CAT II mtb racer, you can get a CAT III CX license.

NOTE: Did you know that if you register in a USAC santioned event, on a 1 day or annual, you are responsible for knowing the rules? Officials are only responsible for enforcing the rules.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts