Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Trek 5200 with the original Rolf wheels. Bike is comfortable, but keep hearing new wheels make a difference. I saw two brands that appear in the budget and seem reliable( shimano ultegra 6700 & fulcrum racing 3). Anyone have any experience here? I don't want to lighten my wallet unnecessarily. Thanks

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
keep hearing new wheels make a difference. I don't want to lighten my wallet unnecessarily.
You have very unreasonable expectations so the last sentence will probably come true. The "newness" of wheels makes no difference unless there is something very wrong with the old wheels. Your wheels' age, on its own, means nothing.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
hope to see at least a 1 -2 mph improvement.
It isn't going to happen by swapping wheels.

Already training 3 times a week putting in 150 miles total, with hills.
This is your only hope for that 1-2mph increase - if you ride with progressive overload - and can recover from it before you repeat it again (but whole books have been written on this).

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Well admittedly its going to be hard to get you wheels that improve speed that much. But upgrading wheels can improve the ride quality of your bike a bit and make you more excited to get out and ride.

In your price range, you could go White Industries T11 hubs to A23s. That would give you a bit wider rim that's super easy to setup tubeless.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Compared to 32 spoke box section rim wheels, the fastest wheels on the planet will give you 0.3 mph at 20 mph (0.5 km/hr at 32 km/hr). Your hopes will be dashed if you look to the wheels (or any other equipment) for that kind of speed improvement. Only more power will do that.
The difference in my four years of average speed data (I record it religiously) was exactly 0.3mph between four wheelsets -

32/32 OpenPro with Dura Ace hubs. DT Comp spokes. 1762 grams. 257g tires.
24/28 24mm deep rims. CX-Ray spokes. 1410 grams. 220g tires.
24/28 50mm deep carbon rims. CX-Rays. 1579 grams. 220g tires.
24/28 27mm deep rims. DT Comp. 1548 grams. 220g tires.

I did some rides faster on my heaviest wheels & tires than on my lightest or most aero.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.