Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
No it would be another Sky Tour fiasco where the team rode for Wiggo and Cav was a waterboy.

Uran definitely needs get out of Sky and ride for himself. But Omega is totally committed to Cav and stage wins. To win a Grand Tour requires 100% commitment, and going for sprint stages wastes energy. Uran needs a different team.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it would be another Sky Tour fiasco where the team rode for Wiggo and Cav was a waterboy.

Uran definitely needs get out of Sky and ride for himself. But Omega is totally committed to Cav and stage wins. To win a Grand Tour requires 100% commitment, and going for sprint stages wastes energy. Uran needs a different team.
I actually don't think Omega has that option. A team probably can't get enough World Tour points to stay on that level as a sprints and classics only team in the modern era. I also kind of doubt that most sponsors are interested in that these days. Omega has already confirmed that they are looking for GC options and I would guess that it is for that reason. Same with Argos.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I actually don't think Omega has that option. A team probably can't get enough World Tour points to stay on that level as a sprints and classics only team in the modern era. I also kind of doubt that most sponsors are interested in that these days. Omega has already confirmed that they are looking for GC options and I would guess that it is for that reason. Same with Argos.
you know omega ended four in last years world tour right? With their points from the giro they have more points than nr 14 got all last year (lampre).

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you know omega ended four in last years world tour right? With their points from the giro they have more points than nr 14 got all last year (lampre).
You might be ignoring the fact that they got points from Levi for much of last year. We also have two more grand tours left and Omega is not aiming to be middle of the pack or just barely making it. It's in a team's best interest to be competitive in every sphere these days, particularly from a sponsorship perspective. They are keenly aware of HTC Highroad's attempt to make that model work and subsequent failure (given that a bunch of their staff and riders come from HTC). They are reportedly not interested in making the same mistakes.

Cycling -- Why is HTC-Highroad no more while Team RadioShack survives? - ESPN

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
You might be ignoring the fact that they got points from Levi for much of last year. We also have two more grand tours left and Omega is not aiming to be middle of the pack or just barely making it. It's in a team's best interest to be competitive in every sphere these days, particularly from a sponsorship perspective. They are keenly aware of HTC Highroad's attempt to make that model work and subsequent failure (given that a bunch of their staff and riders come from HTC). They are reportedly not interested in making the same mistakes.

Cycling -- Why is HTC-Highroad no more while Team RadioShack survives? - ESPN
5 Riders count. Here are the riders whose points counted on Omegas team last year
Boonen (410), Martin (171), Terpstra (160), Chavanel (113), Kwiatkowski (108)
notice who is not on the list? I guess a third place in tour de suisse is not quite enough when playing with the big boys.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5 Riders count. Here are the riders whose points counted on Omegas team last year
Boonen (410), Martin (171), Terpstra (160), Chavanel (113), Kwiatkowski (108)
notice who is not on the list? I guess a third place in tour de suisse is not quite enough when playing with the big boys.
Believe whatever you like. My real point is that they are looking at the guy and other GC targets for a reason. I feel pretty confident that they will add him or someone else for the reasons cited above. There was a real possibility that a team as good as Katusha wasn't going to be in the World Tour this year. Teams took notice of that. It is increasingly competitive to stay at this level and that status is based on more than just points. There is also increased competition for sponsorship dollars for lots of reasons. Accordingly, it is in every team's best interest to be competitive in every sphere of cycling, particularly the grand tours and their leader jersey chases because that is where you get the most sponsorship exposure.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Although I can see the attraction between Uran and Quick Step - I agree with the other posters - Cav would have a cow if he was again overlooked for a GC guy

Why bring on Uran unless you want to go for GCs? Would only work if Uran and Cav raced different schedules - sprint friendly races: send Cav - climber friendly races: send Uran. Kind of like Sky keeping Wiggo and Froome seperate for most of the year.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You'd think it might even be good for the interests of Uran's agent for him to be linked to lots of teams. Might make him seem more valuable. Some may even go so far as to say that seeding this sort of rumour could even be part of the job for an agent.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
You'd think it might even be good for the interests of Uran's agent for him to be linked to lots of teams. Might make him seem more valuable. Some may even go so far as to say that seeding this sort of rumour could even be part of the job for an agent.
True that. But there are only a few World Tour teams out there that need a GC contender AND have the power to back them up when the going goes uphill.
Omega Pharma - Quick Step is one such team. Euskatel needs a real threat now as Sanchez seems to be windeing down - Uran could really help them pick up thier game - especially if Henao comes along for the ride. And what of Astana? So far Fuglesang has failed to impress - perhaps Uran could lead the races Nibali skips - pretty potent one-two punch hmmmm. And then there is RadioShanty - which it seems - is about to come under new managment - with Andy faltering, perhaps Trek would be interested in investing in Plan Uran?
That said, he may go to a non-WT team with big ambitions, like Columbia.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Orica Greenedge could use a true GC contender. Even if they eventually sign Evans or Rogers, like has been rumored, they'll be washed up by then. They could probably get some of Uran's fellow Columbians as helpers, for cheap.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Orica Greenedge could use a true GC contender. Even if they eventually sign Evans or Rogers, like has been rumored, they'll be washed up by then. They could probably get some of Uran's fellow Columbians as helpers, for cheap.
I think Henao is the only other Colombian on the team and he won't be cheap and will likely have demands as well considering his results so far.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I think Henao is the only other Colombian on the team and he won't be cheap and will likely have demands as well considering his results so far.
Yup. That's why I'm thinking it will be a team with deep pockets. Quick Step, the new Trek (former RadioShack), Cannondale (Basso on his way out I suspect - Sagan not a GC guy), GreenEdge etc.
Euskatel probably really wants them (both Uran and Henao), but does not look like they could afford them - so no-go.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
with Andy faltering, perhaps Trek would be interested in investing in Plan Uran?
Interesting. How much longer is Andy under contract? If Trek had Uran they could drop Frandy and save money.
he may go to a non-WT team with big ambitions, like Columbia.
Too risky, hoping for wild card selection vs going for a sure thing by being on a ProTour team.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.