Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The one question I get the most when people see this bike is “What is it?” My general response is that it’s an urban assault creature. Sort of a road/mountain/cyclocross/urban/commuter/fun bike. Initially, this frame (2009 Independent Fabrication Deluxe) was designed as an updated version of my 1994 Rhygin Ra. I built it up and just didn’t like not having the front suspension, so I dismantled it. At that time, I had built up my 2007 Ted Wojcik as a bike to tackle the D2R2, and although it performed admirably, there was just something about feeling and the aesthetics of the frame geometry I didn’t like. So, I retired the Ted and used most of the parts for this build. The real inspiration for this bike is the Amaro Lollobrigida. I think that bike a down right one of the sexiest bikes out there. So, this is my take on that bike.

Anyway, today I finally got to take this out on the maiden voyage and all I can say is “wow!!!!” The tight geometry gives this quick handling and it feels quite nimble. It’s lighter than the Ted, so possibly that’s part of the reason. This bike also has a tighter wheelbase, too. I decided to go with a 1x8, and it shifts quite crisply. The Shimano XTR M950 and XTR cassette are well matched and super easy to adjust. The Ultegra bar end shifters are solid and I like the placement. I wish there were more choices for bars with a shorter reach and a 26.0 clamp, but the Nitto Soba bar is nice. I’m guessing this bike will be just as fast as the Ted, considering I’m using the same wheels. During the D2R2, I passed my friend Daniel who was traveling at about 45MPH, and the wheels were smooth and I felt amazingly stable at that speed. The Hookworm tires are fantastic, albeit super heavy. The bike isn’t built for speed, but it does just fine.

I have a big sister to this bike (same color, too), a 2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel, and will post photos once that is completed. I’m waiting for Black Sheep to complete my titanium fork, stem and seat post, which is well more than a month overdue and I’m champing at the bit!

View attachment 181968

View attachment 181969

View attachment 181970

View attachment 181971

View attachment 181972

View attachment 181973

View attachment 181974

View attachment 181975

View attachment 181976

View attachment 181977

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
last photo & specs

View attachment 181989

Frame/Fork: 2009 Independent Fabrication
Rims: Mavic M231 Profile PSP, 28-hole
Hubs: Phil Wood
Quick Release: Cook Bros. Racing
Tires: Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5
Crank: White Industries ENO, 38T chainring
Chain: SRAM
Rear Cassette: Shimano XTR CS-M900, 12-28, 8-speed
Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood Titanium/Magnium, 116mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR, RD-M950, Short Cage
Shifter: Shimano Ultegra 8-speed Bar End Shifter with Paul Components Road Thumbies.
Handlebars: Nitto Soba, 44cm
Stem (Quill): Ibis Titanium
Headset: Chris King 2Nut
Brake set: Ciamillo / Zero Gravity G Cross (GX) (was Avid Shorty 6)
Brake levers: Cane Creek SCR-5C
Saddle: Sella Italia SLR
Seat Post: Black Sheep Titanium
Paint: Tangerine Yellow
Size: Custom
Serial #: 177D916
Place of Origin: Somerville, MA

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
That is Fn HOT!

One of the coolest bikes I've seen in a while.

I assume you truly prefer the drop bars over flat bars?

What hand position do you use most?

·
Registered
447 Posts
bane said:
26" wheels?

what's your gearing setup? I have a similar flatbar, rigid, 1x8 bike that is way too much fun to ride.
I tried looking up the Amaro Lollobrigida bike he mentioned but couldn't find much. Did see something interesting about the fact that if you use 2.5 slicks on 26 inch wheels that overall circumference is close to 700c. I have skinny 1.5 on mine but running single speed.

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dave Hickey said:
I love it...perfect....
Henry Porter said:
Very nice, I'm considering those colors for my custom bike (which I'll order in a couple of years).
meat said:
Beautiful Job. Way to make it work for you.
Kuma601 said:
Agreed! I've thought of variations on what you've done...the execution on yours is...
lancezneighbor said:
I love everything about that bike! Great job.
Thanks! I’m both flattered and humbled by the praise!

Lifelover said:
That is Fn HOT!

One of the coolest bikes I've seen in a while.

I assume you truly prefer the drop bars over flat bars?

What hand position do you use most?
Nielly said:
Nice. Are you confortable with the drop to the bars? I'm putting together something similar and debating on bar/stem setup.
Thanks again! I prefer the drops to flat bars for longer rides. Flat bars are wicked uncomfortable for me on epic sojourns. I have flat bars on my mountain bike and the work well in the twisty, tight single track that I enjoy so much. I wish FSA made their Wing Pro Compact in a 26.0 as I find those to be perfect for me. That being said, I like the Nitto Soba bars quite a bit and find them to be very comfy.

I am usually at the curve right before the ramps (palms facing each other). If I’m in traffic, I ride on the hoods more often for safety.

bane said:
26" wheels?

what's your gearing setup? I have a similar flatbar, rigid, 1x8 bike that is way too much fun to ride.
Yup, 26” wheels. I’m running a 38T with a 12/28 cassette. I did the D2R2 with this same setup (7500+ feet of climbing in 62 miles on gravel/dirt/paved roads) and it worked out quite well, so I’ll probably run this gearing most of the time as I live in the Boston area and the terrain is well-suited with this setup. The front chainring is easy to swap out if I want to change the gearing, too.

Nielly said:
I tried looking up the Amaro Lollobrigida bike he mentioned but couldn't find much. Did see something interesting about the fact that if you use 2.5 slicks on 26 inch wheels that overall circumference is close to 700c. I have skinny 1.5 on mine but running single speed.
Here’s a few photos of the Amaro Lollobrigida:

View attachment 182023

View attachment 182024

View attachment 182025

He has it setup as a fixie, but I was intrigued that he races it just about anywhere from forests to deserts. It’s a gorgeous bike, and I really wanted to order one (a geared version), but the timing just wasn’t right. I like what I have, though!

Yeah, the big fat 26x2.5 pretty much have the same circumference as a 700c, so it feels like I’m on a road bike, but with a ton more cushion!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
*****in'

if you have issues w/ chain drop on the single, Paul has a cool new unit
looks like fun

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
New England Monster!!!

Hi misterdangerpants!

Your ride looks mean. Actually, I was digging your TW but this is just an amazing build. Hmm.. your bikes are giving me bad ideas for a winter project :).

Enjoy! You'll be needing this creature in the up coming months :)

Joe

BTW - Belmont Wheelworks is also the closest shop from my house. Cool place to drool.

·
Registered
494 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OMG!!!!!!!! Wow! That is really cool! Just something to get excited about that's new and different!

Have you thought about doing a internal hub gearing system? Those tires are a bit slick. Do they still hold up on the trails ok?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.