Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose we all do this the first week, start in on the commuter games. Let's see, so far there's

*time the light (try to hit the lights green)

*beat the bus (catch and then stay ahead of the city bus -- not so hard)

*race the cars (much harder, but more traffic the better)

*no foot down (amazing how fast you learn track standing with tons of lights)

What else can I expect to experience?

· What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Drafting the bus is hot, but could save a little energy. (I often do this with tour buses, as they don't stop as often)
Timing traffic on the cross streets
How many toes can you run over without going down

The fun never stops!

· Registered
8 Posts
These add more fun to the experience in caothic urban conditions (like in Mexico City):
* Anticipating cars running the red light
* Keeping an eye for open sewers, gigant potholes, ripples on the pavement
* Watching for pedestrians crossing the street just about anywhere
* Watching for public transport loading/unloading people just about anywhere, like in the middle of a traffic-jammed avenue.
* Holding breath and resisting eye irritation while behind a bus
* Anticipating cars wanting to pass you just to cut in front of you right away to turn on the next street
* This one is universal: calculating the space between cars to slip by without touching mirrors, sneaking trough while finding the few open spaces
* what else? :)

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
OverStuffed said:
Hey, that's an honest workplace hazard for messengers. But why is it the only ones I see who use hands-free devices are women? FWIW, I'm a guy and I never used one either.
Interesting thought. I don't get enough phone calls while I'm riding that it would warrant leaving the headset plugged in the whole time. And bluetooth would just fall off. And FWIW, I usually only talk and ride for a minute until I can pull over.

· Registered
103 Posts
Reading about the cell phone bike use made me think I should start wearing my BT headset while riding, and then I wondered why I would because no one ever calls me. Why do I even have a phone? I borrow cars. Why don't I borrow phones?

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I have a BT headset, but I think the quality sucks. Unfortunately I don't know if the crappy quality is the LG 325 phone, or the Plantronics BT headset. I'm leaning towards the heaset, but I don't want to buy another to find out. shame really. A BT headset is the perfect setup for urban riding. Out of the way, discreet, and about as distracting as chatting with the person riding next to you. Of course, I would only do it for short distances. I don't like talking on the phone more than I have to.

Oh, my addition to the game:

*Make it home alive at the end of each shift.

· Registered
339 Posts
* See how many beers you can drink at the bar that is conveniently placed on your route home and still make it home on the bike
* Make it home before the flash floods (whose smart idea was it to build Houston on a swamp?)
* Make it to work and get showered/changed before the bus would normally get you to work
* See how many people you can get to say "You ride to work? Really? Wow!" in a day

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Chris H said:
I have a BT headset, but I think the quality sucks. Unfortunately I don't know if the crappy quality is the LG 325 phone, or the Plantronics BT headset. I'm leaning towards the heaset, but I don't want to buy another to find out. shame really.
I've never really liked Plantronics. I have a motorola BT headset and it works well, though sometimes it's choppy.

I'll try it on my bike. I figured the shades/helmet/bumps/potholes would conspire to make it a pain in the arse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.