Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See pictures below. My two questions are:

1) See how close the cadence magnet is to the pickup (I've added a third, clearer picture, below). It was NEVER that close b/f. I started noticing a knocking on that side of the crank the other day, and this morning was the first time I had a chance to get up close and personal. It kinda looks like the crank arm is bent a bit. Thoughts???

2.) There is no bolt in the lower right bolt hole. Is it supposed to be that way, or is it missing????

· Registered
10,161 Posts
???

Do you seriously think a crank bolt SHOULD be missing? Of course, it's fallen out.

The way to check for a bent crankarm is rotate the arm so it's parallel to the down tube and measure the distance from the side of the down tube to one edge of the crankarm. A difference of 1-3mm would be common, but not much more.

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-40 said:
Do you seriously think a crank bolt SHOULD be missing? Of course, it's fallen out.

The way to check for a bent crankarm is rotate the arm so it's parallel to the down tube and measure the distance from the side of the down tube to one edge of the crankarm. A difference of 1-3mm would be common, but not much more.
I assumed that on the crank bolt, but just wanted to make sure. Plus, I had a big night last night and brain was a little fuzzy.

Regarding measuring for a bend, do you mean measure from two different spots, and if the variance is greater than 3mm, something is likely amiss?

· Registered
5,644 Posts
Is the crank arm bent or loose?

Also, is the crankset octalink? I ask cause I just wrecked my 105 crankset and bottom bracket by not having the splines lined up correctly. While my crankbolts didn't fall out, I started getting this terrible creaking noise. Took it to the shop, they diagosed the problem I described above. Ended up that I had to buy a new crankset.:mad: although it gave me an reason to buy on NOS Record crankset that I had my eyes on

Is it possible that your cranset is now twisted on the bb spindle and that is why it looks bent?

Good luck,

· Registered
610 Posts
If the crank arm were bent, I think you would feel the pedal osculating around while riding. If you're not sure or think you might have become used to it, have someone else test ride the bike - as most people can feel the most minor bend in a crank arm/pedal axle.

I'm not familiar with your specific crankset model, but it seems odd for what appears to be a standard BB to have no visible axle showing between the face of the BB shell and the crank arm. There might be a chance your cartridge BB has shifted to the drive side, or your non-drive side crank arm has crept up the BB taper too far.

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RHankey said:
If the crank arm were bent, I think you would feel the pedal osculating around while riding. If you're not sure or think you might have become used to it, have someone else test ride the bike - as most people can feel the most minor bend in a crank arm/pedal axle.

I'm not familiar with your specific crankset model, but it seems odd for what appears to be a standard BB to have no visible axle showing between the face of the BB shell and the crank arm. There might be a chance your cartridge BB has shifted to the drive side, or your non-drive side crank arm has crept up the BB taper too far.
I had the bolt put in at the LBS this a.m. I then when for a 2 hour ride and all problems were solved! Doesn't explain the closeness of the pickup to the magnet, but I think it is all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.