Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently ride a 61cm Trek 2100 with 9 speed Ultegra circa 2013.

While at the LBS today, I saw a BMC Race Machine RM01 with Ultegra Di2 for 3499.00 USD. Now, because of my current financial situation which I don't want to elaborate on, I was thinking of buying the bike and stripping the Di2, selling it, and using that money to pay off the 'financing' loan. Then, when I get in better financial shape, putting regular Ultegra on it.

My question is, what could I expect to get for a full Di2 groupo? Is this a deal that I should jump at? The bike is a 57.5 and actually fits me unlike the 61cm Trek frame that some overzealous sales rep sold me when I was 13.

My current bike doesn't fit me (not even close) and I'm very uncomfortable on it and have been since I got it. Finding parts for my crankset, casette, rear deraileur, etc has been a nightmare. Now, I know that people still ride old lugged frames with 6 speed so I understand I'm not riding some Huffy BMX bike, but the question remains,should I jump at this?

I am a slightly built rider (6'0" at 140-155lbs) and usually prefer road races which I plan on competing in next season. I also enjoy rides like the Everest Challenge and centuries. That being said, I do want something that is stiff and responsive for crits and circuit races which are mostly what's abundant down here.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
going rate seems like $1500ish on ebay for a new in box ... (well thats what my looking found, maybe someone else will find it cheaper... or dearer, seems to be $2K on wiggle).

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I've seen people in my club do what you are thinking.
It's a good deal and so they buy it, or its a Trek and so it has to be good and they buy it. They don't test the fit and they don't ride anything else to see if they might like something better.

Have you ridden it to see if it fits and if the ride is something you like?
If it is, then maybe they'll take off the Di2 and put regular Ultegra on it and you'll save money...

While that is a good deal, there will always be good deals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen people in my club do what you are thinking.
It's a good deal and so they buy it, or its a Trek and so it has to be good and they buy it. They don't test the fit and they don't ride anything else to see if they might like something better.

Have you ridden it to see if it fits and if the ride is something you like?
If it is, then maybe they'll take off the Di2 and put regular Ultegra on it and you'll save money...

While that is a good deal, there will always be good deals.
Yep, I did a few different 'simulations' while the sales guy was holding the front wheel and it fit perfectly and would possibly only need a step down in the stem size. I've also ridden the TCR and Tarmac but theres only so much I can gather from a 20 minute test ride...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds like you just need a better bike period.

As much as DI is an amazing tool the complete new proper sized bike will be a bigger benefit than the shifters alone.
If money is an issue I would simply look for a good used frame in the exact size you want and transfer your existing parts over $3-400 will do it. You could also sell your used frame for something to offset the new frame. Throw on a great used set of wheels $2-300 with new bar tape and it will be an amazing ride for dirt cheap!!
My racebike frame I just got was a new take off with carbon seat post, alu stem, carbon fork and triple butted aluminum frame with carbon stays in my size for $199. I put my spare parts on it and its perfect..

The problem with buying and selling is you never get exactly what money you want or you have to wait. If you did the finance deal and could not do the sale your screwed and if you have to buy new parts then its not worth it.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
One thing that age teaches you is that there is always another "deal of the century" coming behind that one you pass up.

Competitive Cyclist has the 2012 model for $3999. 2012 BMC Race Machine RM01/Shimano Ultegra Di2 Complete Bike - 2012 - Competitive Cyclist

Having to float a loan to buy the BMC makes it sound to me like you're stretching yourself too thin. Don't forget to add sales tax and loan interest to the price of the bike.

Edit: The deal I regret missing was a Shelby Cobra in 1975 for $25K. There was no way I could come up with the money but later that car was worth a cool million.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Buying a bike should never be an URGENT affair... Take your time, relax, and wait for your finances to improve. Sell your current bike and wait for a better opportunity...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would look for a used racing bike. Maybe even aluminum so it will be cheap. Crashes happen in races and it is easier to replace an $800 frame than a $2000 one on sale.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I guess my main question is: Is this really a deal of the century that I will be regretting passing up in 5 years? Like I said, I wasn't planning on riding this immediately (despite how much I would want to). I was going to strip the Di2 and sell it to put that money towards the principal of the loan and then wait till I could justify getting a normal Utegra/105 group.

I'm thinking that if I sold the Di2 and instead got a mostly Ultegra group (but with little 105 parts, like brakes, casette, chain) that I could save a tremendous amount of money for an amazing frame.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I guess my main question is: Is this really a deal of the century that I will be regretting passing up in 5 years? Like I said, I wasn't planning on riding this immediately (despite how much I would want to). I was going to strip the Di2 and sell it to put that money towards the principal of the loan and then wait till I could justify getting a normal Utegra/105 group.
Is this the bike of your dreams? Will you be happy with it forever?

It all boils down to how much you are really saving.

Try to figure it out realistically, as close as you can. Try not to guess; how much can you really sell that group for on ebay; what is the lowest price you've seen? What will you do if you can only get $1K for it?
Don't forget the interest this deal will cost you over time.
How much will you honestly save? $2K or $1K or $500?

Relax, you've got all day to think about it; take your emotions out of the decision.

One hard-n-fast rule is that unless you get a screaming deal on a new group it is always more expensive to build a bike than buy one that has what you want. How much will it cost you for that 105/Ultegra group down the road?

The final result of all this is a great frame with average components. Is that your goal?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Is this really a deal of the century that I will be regretting passing up in 5 years?
The dealer wants you to think so LOL

Five years from now it will be hopelessly obsolete.
Ultegra 6700 Di2 is going to be obsolete any minute....the next generation mech version is out. The next Ultegra Di2 won't be long.
I have the same bike Cavendish rode last year and it's obsolete.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I guess my main question is: Is this really a deal of the century that I will be regretting passing up in 5 years?
NO! It's a good deal, but not a deal of the century by any means.

So...you've sat on it, but haven't test ridden it?
I wouldn't buy any bike I haven't put at least a 20-30 minute test ride on.

I also agree with this.
The problem with buying and selling is you never get exactly what money you want
When people see this stuff on Craigslist or Ebay, they think that it should be basically given away. Think half of what it's worth even if it's new.

I would start test riding every bike you have an interest in THAT ALSO fits you, while you save money. Then once you've narrowed it down, start looking for deals.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Also, now I don't know about this at all, but looking at pictures...is this bike Di2 only, can you even fit regualr mech cables to it? If not then that would pretty much ruin you plan.

My thoughts, buying a bike to strip the parts for a frame you have and love, makes sense. Doing the same to get a good frame (where the frame is the same over a range of models and the parts give the spec level) so you get a good frame with crap parts and you can then switch the good parts you already have, makes sense.
Buying a top endish bike and selling the parts only to keep the frame, where you don't have great parts to go on it and then have to buy parts for it...not so much.
Taking out a loan for a bike, no worries (never done it but know people that have), buying a bike on a loan to strip and sell the parts...no way, your only ever going to end up behind. All thats going to happen is some time in the next 6 months you will likely find the exact same bike even cheaper somewhere.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Most of the bike companies are liquidating their 6770 ui2 in anticipation of 11 speed stuff. That means there are some killer deals on ui2 bikes right now I'm not sure what that means for the secondary market. If it were me, I would ensure I could get a certain dollar amount for the ui2 because the market may be flooded soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all. I decided on a cheaper option which has now only left me with a new issue but that's if I should swap out Mavic Askiums for something in store for 25% off, or keep them for training and using 8yr old 404s for race... but that belongs in the wheel forum I suppose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.