Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone's asking me.

I'd like to give them an answer.

"Because they can be converted to Capri pants" is not a reasonable answer.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I know a lot of people that love 'em. I also just got back from a gallery where some rich photo dude is making $$$ on his canvas photo prints (along with his giant fancy panoramics on normal metallic stuff). What's wrong with it? Kinda cool when gallery wrapped.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ridgetop said:
I know a lot of people that love 'em. I also just got back from a gallery where some rich photo dude is making $$$ on his canvas photo prints (along with his giant fancy panoramics on normal metallic stuff). What's wrong with it? Kinda cool when gallery wrapped.
But what's the advantage over a normal print? I don't recall ever seeing one so I have no idea what the appeal is.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
catzilla said:
"Because a family portrait conveys familyness better when we pretend it's painted. Plus, faux swirly lines are the sh!t."

That looks like an Ewok.

Cute dog, though.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
catzilla said:
"Because a family portrait conveys familyness better when we pretend it's painted. Plus, faux swirly lines are the sh!t."

Am I the only one who thinks that looks like Roseanne Roseannadanna?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I had a bunch made up from my sunrise pix.

Sold really well.

Made me happy.

It was a win-win.

And since I was in it to win it...........

(for illustration purposes only)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Because people think they're softer and more arty.

I think photographer (outside of yearbook/family photographers) would have to get their head around that aesthetic in order to understand why someone would ask for one. And that might be impossible. Because one of the things that attracts people to photography is the precise rendering of the image. And canvas blows that out of the water.

File it in the bucket of things that people love that you have no understanding of. I have a big list, I bet you do too.

In terms of an answer for a client - give them what they want. Just don't post the result.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Are you ordering them to sell, or is someone just asking you? I think the canvas looks cool, personally. The photos on the thick foam always looked cheesy to me in a way. The canvas wrap get them off the wall like the foam does, but the image goes around the edges back to the wall... I think it is kind of rad. that said, I'd much rather have something framed, personally.

My dad wants one of my photos done like that for his wall. Unfortunately, he wants me to buy it for him as a gift. Weak.www.mpix.com

joe

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
depends on the subject matter imo. scenics look alright, but i wouldn't put a portrait on one. they are also supposed to be pretty durable. I've been playing with printing on aluminum, but again it's about subject matter.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MB1 said:
I had a bunch made up from my sunrise pix.
I suppose I should get a few prints to see what it's all about.

terry b said:
In terms of an answer for a client - give them what they want. Just don't post the result.

JoeDaddio said:
... is someone just asking you?
Someone stumbled upon my site and wants to buy a few prints. Was asking the difference between glossy, metallic and canvas.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moschika said:
depends on the subject matter imo. scenics look alright, but i wouldn't put a portrait on one. they are also supposed to be pretty durable. I've been playing with printing on aluminum, but again it's about subject matter.
That's kind what I'm thinking. I doubt it would work well with the night cityscapes, but some of the daytime landscapes ... I could see that working.

Luckily, I don't do portraits.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
DrRoebuck said:

Why don't you get ONE print to see what it's all about......

While you are at it, get a metallic too.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
We have a giclee done on canvas of a Stubbs painting hanging in our house.

No matter how much of my expat stipend I save, I'll never be able to afford a real one so there you have it.

Printed on canvas looks much nicer and far less college dorm room than a framed poster.

But that's a painting so.....might be a different thing.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
That's kind what I'm thinking. I doubt it would work well with the night cityscapes, but some of the daytime landscapes ... I could see that working.
Actually I thought it did well with the darker and stronger colors that come with night shots.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MB1 said:
Why don't you get ONE print to see what it's all about......

While you are at it, get a metallic too.
Because a few would give me a better idea? Except they're asspensive if I recall, so maybe I'll just get one.

I have a few metallic prints @ 24x36. They're hot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts