Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Newb
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might seem like a weird question but its a question non-the-less.

I commute to/from work at least 2-3 times per week. Its 11 miles one way. I bring one water bottle for the journey and it takes me about 38 minutes with my eventual goal being 30 or less by summers end (traffic plays in to a lot of that).

Anyway; when I get to work and my body settles down I have found that I have to pee probably 3-4 times within the first 2 hours. I drink about 16oz of water between leaving my house, riding and cooling off/changing. Then I drink about 2 20oz bottles of water in the first couple hours. My pee is almost clear and I do not feel dehydrated.

I just wanted to make sure my saddle wasn't doing funny things to the boys or something.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
From all signs, you are WAAAAY over-hydrating. Drink if you're thirsty. Stop pumping so much fluid.

You're sure as hell not dehydrated; you got that part right.

When you have to pee 3 or 4 times in two hours, why do you think you also have to drink a half-gallon of water in the same two hours?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
38 minutes isn't nearly long enough of a ride to require drinking almost a half-gallon of water to replenish. Especially on what sounds like a stop and go commute.

I wouldn't even take a water bottle along for a half hour ride, unless it was 75 degrees or warmer. Especially if I had a water source at the end of the ride.

·
Registered
23,027 Posts
Then I drink about 2 20oz bottles of water in the first couple hours.
Why? Do you feel so thirsty that you are compelled to drink? Or are you just drinking because you think it's the right thing to do?

I'd be more surprised if you weren't peeing so much. 56oz in 2-3hrs is a helluva lotta watter. Most people while riding hard and sweating in hot weather drink ~25oz per hour. You're drinking that much while at work.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I know this might seem like a weird question but its a question non-the-less.

I commute to/from work at least 2-3 times per week. Its 11 miles one way. I bring one water bottle for the journey and it takes me about 38 minutes with my eventual goal being 30 or less by summers end (traffic plays in to a lot of that).

Anyway; when I get to work and my body settles down I have found that I have to pee probably 3-4 times within the first 2 hours. I drink about 16oz of water between leaving my house, riding and cooling off/changing. Then I drink about 2 20oz bottles of water in the first couple hours. My pee is almost clear and I do not feel dehydrated.

I just wanted to make sure my saddle wasn't doing funny things to the boys or something.
You're fine.

From all signs, you are WAAAAY over-hydrating. Drink if you're thirsty. Stop pumping so much fluid.
If you're drinking because you're thirsty, then that means you're already dehydrated. In order to avoid dehydration, you have to be proactive, not reactive.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You're fine.
If you're drinking because you're thirsty, then that means you're already dehydrated. In order to avoid dehydration, you have to be proactive, not reactive.
If by "being proactive" you mean doing what he's doing, then I say that's hooey. When you start feeling thirsty, it doesn't mean you're already dehydrated; your mechanisms are more finely tuned than that.

On a long ride, or during a long session of any serious exercise in the heat, you have to anticipate more, because you're losing fluid fast, and your thirst sensation may lag behind. A 38-minute ride in the morning is NOT such a situation. The OP is drinking way more than he needs. I don't know if it's hurting him, but it's not helping him --at the least, he's wasting a lot of time on bathroom breaks.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
If by "being proactive" you mean doing what he's doing, then I say that's hooey. When you start feeling thirsty, it doesn't mean you're already dehydrated; your mechanisms are more finely tuned than that.

On a long ride, or during a long session of any serious exercise in the heat, you have to anticipate more, because you're losing fluid fast, and your thirst sensation may lag behind. A 38-minute ride in the morning is NOT such a situation. The OP is drinking way more than he needs. I don't know if it's hurting him, but it's not helping him --at the least, he's wasting a lot of time on bathroom breaks.
a 38-minute ride in the morning is NOT such as situation for YOU. For me.. I would be chugging a 16 oz bottle of water also, because I do get dehydrated easily.

It may be appropiate for the OP's body.

Keep in mind something, OP is drinking two more 20 oz bottles after the and in his office. So of course one can expect in an office environment, to peeing a lot. Clear pee means your body, during those times... toxins are flushed out of the body.

·
Registered
23,027 Posts
Honestly I am just drinking because I figured it was the right thing to do.

Sounds like I am simply drinking too much water! Hahaha!

Thanks all.
If you're really concerned and want to get scientific about it. Weigh yourself before you leave. Then weigh yourself at work. However much less you weigh, drink that much water. My guesstimate would be <10oz.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Keep in mind something, OP is drinking two more 20 oz bottles after the and in his office
That's what I was talking about -- the additional fluid pumoping after the short ride is over. You may get dehydrated easily, but if this guy is getting up to pee every 30 minutes at the office he is NOT dehydrated.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
There are known symptoms of dehydrated:
Dry, sticky mouth
Sleepiness or tiredness
Thirst
Decreased urine output
Dry skin
Headache
Constipation
Dizziness or lightheadedness

I'd guess your good. Hydration is important.... and a popular concern. Although you may be over-compensating now... it doesn't mean at some point in the future you won't dehydrate. Finding that proper level of Hydration is key. It is smart to keep an eye on Hydration.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Sounds like I am simply drinking too much water! Hahaha!
Actually nothing to laugh about.
The whole hydration thing has gotten out of hand over the past years IMO.
It is possible to overhydrate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.