Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I feel compelled to remind people that this event, held in greenville SC, is an excellent way to see great racing up close. If you want to see Levi leiheimer, Taylor Phinney and others, this race is organized very well. A couple strange things i noticed about this years race:
1) TT has a handful (maybe 15?) people entered as of 9/10. Dave Z, who has won the event like 4 times in row, is not entered. However, Taylor Phinney is! Levi vs Taylor should be cool. But no Dave Z, even Chris Baldwin is only entered in the RR. Do people feel with levi there (in the TT) the chances of winning are zero?
2) This is the 5th year in a row in George's hometown, but i dont see his name on the roster for the road race?
3) Chris Horner is coming, 1st time i will get to see him race!
4) I wish Phinney was entered in the RR as well.

·
tthome
310 Posts
Hincapie isn't on the regisration list either but he'll be there so will Zabriske I bet. He's the 4 time champ, but not this year. I think Phinney will beat Levi in the TT. I don't think Phinney and Levi have been head to head in any TT. Plus I think Phinney wants to win the TT and take it with him to whatever team he signs with. I think it will come down to Levi and Phinney for the TT, but phinney will takeit. I feel he's just a bit better than Levi, we'll see.

As for the RR. I see BMC has a good group (5 riders I think) so Big George will be fully supported on this race finally. Usually he's alone or only has one guy with him like he did last with with Craig Lewis and HTC. If it wasn't for Craig last year I don't think George would have won. Craig crucified himself on the last two circuits over Paris Mountain. Also, RadioShack has a strong group coming too with Levi and Horner as the top tier guys. It will come down to those two guys for TRS. I think Horner will blow the group up over the last 2 circuits over Paris Mountain and Levi will finish off everyone else. Don't count big George out he'll fight for it but I think TRS wants the stars and strips jersey on their team next year.

I ride about 95% of this race course every Friday and it's tough. If you want to ride the actual course before the start of the race you can for $50. Starts at 7:30am sharp and you can ride it as many times as you like. I'll probably do 2 circuits up Paris Mountain. It's cool because the spectators are already on the mountain with their cowbells and they cheers everyone they see. It's as if you're in the race, only difference is I'm doing 6/7/8mph up and the pros go up it around 11/12/13mph. I'll have some video and pictures of it posted on my blog sometime later in the week.

if you want to know just how close you can get to the riders here are pictures from the 2009 RR and TT.

not a bad seat in the house. Going to be great!

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Zabriskie's riding the Vuelta... dunno if he plans to head home for Nationals but if so he better get on a plane quick after today's TT

·
tthome
310 Posts
forgot about that, maybe he's not going to defend his jersey this year. With Levi and Phinney in the TT, I really don't think his changes are that good anyway.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
tthome said:
I don't think Phinney and Levi have been head to head in any TT.
Didn't they go head to head at the Tour of Utah with Phinney winning it? Or does a Prologue not qualify as a TT?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woops, forgot about the Vuelta, sorry Dave. I do feel everyone forgets that levi is a great TT guy, not just good. He will never beat fabian on a good day but thats a pretty high bar. Levi seems to get better with age at the TT. Now, I dont know if he will sand bag or not with the RR the next day, but ill take him over TP for now.
Indeed if anyone is within driving distance, this is an opportunity to stand right next to the pros! I show up at the start of the TT and still stand right at the ramp. There is NOBODY there. You can stand next to the "on deck" riders at the start house and check out all the gear. The RR is somewhat crowded at the finish but thats about it. They do a lot of circuits for the RR so you get to see everyone a lot.
The ride before hand is great as tthome says. The course is already closed and barriers up, but you get to ride it as much as you want. I want to say there was a maybe 300 last year?
I remember George sacrificing himself for levi (when on Disco) about 3 years ago. Horner still has the goods, why does he have to do the scut work for Levi? I have always looked at "support" differently ever since Tyler Hamilton was literally ganged up on by 6 or 7 Garmin (slipstream) guys in the closing circuits about 2 years ago and he just shreaded all of them by himself, ultimately winning at the line by less than a millimeter.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
bigmig19 said:
Woops, forgot about the Vuelta, sorry Dave. I do feel everyone forgets that levi is a great TT guy, not just good. He will never beat fabian on a good day but thats a pretty high bar. Levi seems to get better with age at the TT. Now, I dont know if he will sand bag or not with the RR the next day, but ill take him over TP for now.
Indeed if anyone is within driving distance, this is an opportunity to stand right next to the pros! I show up at the start of the TT and still stand right at the ramp. There is NOBODY there. You can stand next to the "on deck" riders at the start house and check out all the gear. The RR is somewhat crowded at the finish but thats about it. They do a lot of circuits for the RR so you get to see everyone a lot.
The ride before hand is great as tthome says. The course is already closed and barriers up, but you get to ride it as much as you want. I want to say there was a maybe 300 last year?
I remember George sacrificing himself for levi (when on Disco) about 3 years ago. Horner still has the goods, why does he have to do the scut work for Levi? I have always looked at "support" differently ever since Tyler Hamilton was literally ganged up on by 6 or 7 Garmin (slipstream) guys in the closing circuits about 2 years ago and he just shreaded all of them by himself, ultimately winning at the line by less than a millimeter.[/QUOTE]
That reminds me, what happened to to the guy that finished second that day. Blake Caldwell?

·
tthome
310 Posts
The TT is 3 laps of a 6.9 mile course (33km) It's going to be a great TT. I think we'll all agree here that it will come down to Levi or Phinney. Levi is a great TT guy, but I think Phinney has what it takes to beat him.

The route isn't very hilly. It does have a few rollers but nothing I would call difficult. The cool thing is the start finish is at the base of a gradual downhill so when they finish their screaming through the start / finish.

Below is the map for the TT.

http://www.usacyclingchampionships.com/forms/media2010/10_US_PRO_TT_Map_v2.pdf

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
spade2you said:
Mootsie said:
Apparently having issues with osteoporosis.
Resultant from a badly broken hip last year while training in Girona. Some of Garmin's younger riders have had some incredibly bad luck - Timmy Duggan's head injury at Georgia, in 2008. Lucas Euser's broken leg in 2009, plus Caldwell's hip.

Horner has to be the odds-on favorite for the road race in Greenville. He looked pretty decent in Canada last weekend, better than either Levi or Hincapie. My dark horse pick for US Pro RR is Peter Stetina. He is a great climber but has a good TT engine and could be dangerous if gets away. He looked pretty solid last weekend in Quebec and Montreal while working for Hesjedal, and Garmin has a decent team for US Pro with Cozza, Pate, Duggan, neos Fairly and Talansky. Talansky is also on good form after his l'Avenir performance and I would also rate him as a dark horse candidate as well.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Give big George a break. He is still recovering from a wicked crash. He wasn't even sure if he was going to get to ride in Canada.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looks like you can watch the road race on Sunday live via the event's website:

Watch live video coverage and live blogs of the race, right here! The broadcast schedule includes live blogging of the Time Trial Championships at 11:30 AM EST on Saturday, Sept. 18, and livestream coverage of the Road Race Championships beginning at 1 PM EST on Sunday, Sept. 18.​

As it says, no broadcast of the TT.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Mootsie said:
He is the real deal, isn't he.
That's definitely what it looks like...One of many Championships to come.
Should be a great race.
I'm liking Hincapie, Horner, Busche, Bajadali, and Lewis. I know, way to go out on a limb. :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
WTF... wasn't this supposed to be for a national championship?

A country the size of the USA only gets 15 starters and the TT is only 33km long... what a joke.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Tugboat said:
WTF... wasn't this supposed to be for a national championship?

A country the size of the USA only gets 15 starters and the TT is only 33km long... what a joke.
Yeah my wife commented that her TT at masters nats 2 years ago was longer that the one in Greenville.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts