Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kick some ass kona boyz!
crosstraffic.blogspot.com

From Velonews: Kona riders from Oregon fill three of the five slots on the elite men's team bound for the UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships January 28-29 in Zeddam, The Netherlands.

USA Cycling announced its elite men's picks on Friday, filling out its 20-rider roster for the world's.

The team includes Kona riders Ryan Trebon, Barry Wicks and Erik Tonkin, all of Oregon. Trebon was an automatic selection based on his top-50 slot in the UCI rankings; Wicks won automatic selection as top American in the 2005 Crank Brothers U.S. Gran Prix of Cyclocross series; and Tonkin was a discretionary pick.

Three-time national champion Jonathan Page (Cervelo) also earned an automatic nomination based on his UCI ranking, while Jeremy Powers (Jelly Belly) was a discretionary pick.

Both reigning U.S. elite national champions - Todd Wells (GT-Hyundai) and Katie Compton (Cody Racing) - declined their nominations to the world's team, as did Tim Johnson (Cyclocrossworld

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the team:

U.S. team for the 2006 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships

Elite men
Ryan Trebon (Kona), Corvallis, Oregon
Jonathan Page (Cervelo), Northfield, New Hampshire
Barry Wicks (Kona), Corvallis
Erik Tonkin (Kona), Portland, Oregon
Jeremy Powers (Jelly Belly), Niantic, Connecticut

Elite women
Barbara Howe (Velo Bella), Larkspur, California
Ann Knapp (Kona), Des Moines, Washington
Maureen Bruno-Roy (Independent Fabrication), Arlington, Massachusetts
Rhonda Mazza (Vanilla Bicycle-Sellwood Cycle), Portland, Oregon
Christine Vardaros (Lotto-Belisol), Mill Valley, California

U23 men
Troy Wells (TIAA-CREF), Durango, Colorado
Jesse Anthony (Clif Bar), Beverly, Massachusetts
Adam McGrath (Redline), Portland, Oregon
Brady Kappius (TIAA-CREF), Littleton, Colorado
Dan Neyens (Broadmark), Seattle, Washington

Junior men
Daniel Summerhill (TIAA-CREF), Centennial, Colorado
Alex Howes (TIAA-CREF), Golden, Colorado
Bjorn Selander (Alan Factory), Hudson, Wisconsin
Chance Noble (Scary Fast), Camarillo, California
Patrick Ethan Gilmour (Coyote), Ludlow, Vermont

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
wow west is best

10 riders from west coast. 5 from the east coast. Colorado 4 for the future. do we call Colorado west? is to me which would make 14.

way to go Chance!!! nice kid,faster than snot with a good bunnyhop. way to represent us lowly slo-cal types!!!!!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
thx for the update

Go PINK!!!!!!!

I dunno why, I just love those gals. would love to give em a big olemuddy hug.

VeloBella thx for helping dirty chicas!!!!!!! we need more of ya!!!!! branch out

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
atpjunkie said:
10 riders from west coast. 5 from the east coast. Colorado 4 for the future. do we call Colorado west? is to me which would make 14.

way to go Chance!!! nice kid,faster than snot with a good bunnyhop. way to represent us lowly slo-cal types!!!!!
5 from Oregon, including a husband and wife team.

·
The Beast
62 Posts
Jed Peters said:
No, it's still the cx season.
I got ya, but most teams go by the first of the year. De Knegt for example, January 1st = Rabbobank.

She has been wearing the Lotto-Belisol clothing over there too...

·
Banned
53 Posts
crossbishop said:
Both reigning U.S. elite national champions - Todd Wells (GT-Hyundai) and Katie Compton (Cody Racing) - declined their nominations to the world's team, as did Tim Johnson (Cyclocrossworld)
Why did Wells decline?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Perhaps one of you guys know this: what expenses are paid for these guys? Travel, housing, support?

And Dan Neyens... seriously?

·
The Beast
62 Posts
The cost for the world championships is $1000 plus airfair for just between Jan 24 and Jan 31st. If you want to come over earlier and do a couple of races that adds around an additional $500. Total cost between $1700 and $2200.

USA Cycling only pays for the US National Champions.

What about Dan Neyens?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
USACycling pays the current Elite national champions expenses when they're there for the race, I think the cost to each rider is $1000 for like 5 days. Not plane tickets I think. Since the champs didn't choose to go, this year they've paid out nothing to any of the riders you see on that list. That 5 days (or so) before and during the race is at a hotel near the course where the racers get treated like they're on a real team and the price covers lodging, food, mechanical support (bring your own cables, brake pads, glue, etc- this is labor only). "Coaching" and all official business like managers meetings and dealing with the UCI is dealt with by USACycling as well. So, no. USACycling does not pay at all, these guys will all have to come up with their own funds so visit all their websites and see if you can throw down a few bucks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I was just wondering what the deal was, I would have guessed that it'd be more or less a fixed package for the entire trip.

About Dan Neyens: not that I know him, I have nothing against him and in no way want to sound judgemental or anything, but he finishes in the back of the field in every race and I really doubt if he really is good enough to participate at the Worlds. I know the US can send 5 racers in the U23 category, but they are not obliged to do so. So, why not only let the guys participate that are up for the challenge?

·
The Beast
62 Posts
Exar said:
Ok, I was just wondering what the deal was, I would have guessed that it'd be more or less a fixed package for the entire trip.

About Dan Neyens: not that I know him, I have nothing against him and in no way want to sound judgemental or anything, but he finishes in the back of the field in every race and I really doubt if he really is good enough to participate at the Worlds. I know the US can send 5 racers in the U23 category, but they are not obliged to do so. So, why not only let the guys participate that are up for the challenge?
Well, "good enough to participate at the Worlds" is subjective. USA Cycling is all about bringing a full squad to worlds. Why wouldnt they? I'm pretty sure it is costing them less than a grand per person for the time that they are there.

Riders had to petition to go to worlds, and Dan was selected. It might be a one in a lifetime chance for him, or it might just be the start of an amazing carear. Don't discredit him because he is out there racing is butt off against the best riders in the world.

Zimbabwe had 5 U23 riders racing in Belgium over the winter. They have a whole tv show that runs prime time about it. Do they get last most of the time? Yes. Does that mean that they should not be there? Well, I guess that is up to you.

·
The Beast
62 Posts
wunlap togo said:
USACycling pays the current Elite national champions expenses when they're there for the race, I think the cost to each rider is $1000 for like 5 days. Not plane tickets I think. Since the champs didn't choose to go, this year they've paid out nothing to any of the riders you see on that list. That 5 days (or so) before and during the race is at a hotel near the course where the racers get treated like they're on a real team and the price covers lodging, food, mechanical support (bring your own cables, brake pads, glue, etc- this is labor only). "Coaching" and all official business like managers meetings and dealing with the UCI is dealt with by USACycling as well. So, no. USACycling does not pay at all, these guys will all have to come up with their own funds so visit all their websites and see if you can throw down a few bucks!
USA Cycling also pays for the U23 and Junior national champions as well.

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/06_cx_worlds.pdf

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
bikerb said:
I'm pretty sure it is costing them less than a grand per person for the time that they are there.
Well, I can tell you that Barb payed $1000 to USACycling for her time there. Last year too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts