Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been to a USA Cycling Devo camp before? I qualified for one, parents registered me for it, and I want to know what to expect/etiquette if there be such a thing, and whatnot.
Here's the link to the site for the Lacrosse camp I'm going to.
http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2204
Thanks!
-estone2

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Yes

estone2 said:
Anyone been to a USA Cycling Devo camp before?
My son has been to the LaCrosse camp a couple of times. Great experience and gives a junior some focus on what it takes to truly work towards becoming an elite athlete. While USAC can do some stupid things and does not always focus on things it members think are important this is on area where they have gotten things right.

Send me a private message here and I will get you an e-mail address for my son or set you up so you can talk on the phone and get your specific questions answered.

· Registered
133 Posts
How do you qualify for one of these camps, on the website they mentioned that for juniors it involves the junior olympics, but is unclear regarding the details, could someone like keeping up with junior shed some light on these camps and what is involved with qualifying and what they do there.
Matt

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Invitation

Race hard and win!

mpetersen16 said:
How do you qualify for one of these camps...
Information is available at the USA Cycling website.

http://www.usacycling.org/lajors/

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=809

How to Qualify:
Juniors: Regional Camp Invitiations are based on competitive race results from the following: At least one Top-5 finish from LAJORS or other similar caliber road events, or one or more Top-5 finishes from ADJOM or other similar MTB events, both in the 15-18 age groups, or by permission based on race resume from the previous 12 months of racing prior to any camp. 14 year-old racing age athletes are eligible for camp invitation provided they have qualified racing in the 15-18 age group categories.

When navigating the website look under Junior Events and also Development Programs. I would suggest printing these out as the website often changes and sometimes there is very short notice online for some of these.

mpetersen16 said:
...what they do there.
Each day includes some training rides. There are also some skill drills. Seminars on racing, training, sports psychology, nutrition. Camps also have one or two time trials which are used by coaches to identify talented athletes for invitations to future camps.

esteone2 said:
...I want to know what to expect/etiquette.
As far as etiquette I would say focus on what you are there for, to become a better athlete. Coaches are using the camp to educate as well as identify future talent. They are watching your performance on and off the bike. Ride hard, ride smart, don't whine and push your limits. Off the bike stay out of trouble, listen but also have fun. Cycling is not just about knocking out a fast time trial, you need to be able to interact with your teamates as well as other riders to form those crucial alliances that make a breakaway work or set up that sprint leadout.

Do not go to the camp expecting them to turn you into a racer in one week. You should be riding with teamates and local racers on a regular basis. Find a coach or mentor too. A coach can be expensive and finding the right one may take a while. Most local clubs have plenty of experienced guys that can serve as informal coaches and act as mentors. Do not necessarily focus on the fastest guys in your club but those that have experience and patience to help you. There are plenty of old guys who are retired races or still race masters that have a wealth of talent to share.

It's not about the bike either as the camp time trials do not allow aero bars or wheels and basically level the playing field by focusing on your ability to ride rather than your ability to spend money. Remember if you are doing well in races on a standard set up the fancy equipment will start appearing from sponsors or at deep discounts. Right now just ride and learn.

Caveat - these are all Dad's observations as my son does not usually pop into this forum.

· Registered
38 Posts
Come strong

When I went to the camp 4 years ago it was nothing like what they say in the description. I went to the one in Furman and basically the whole point of the camp is to make the selection for the Tour L'abitabi in Canada. They allowed riders to use whatever equipment they wanted and basically focused strictly on the TTs and barely anything on the training or skills part of it. You will wake up eat breakfast, ride for 2 to 3 hours, eat luch, take a nap and go out for another 2 to 3 hour ride, at least at this camp that what we did, plus it $650 plus air fair or travel costs. Its a fun time but very expensive and pretty difficult if you arent strong coming into the camp. Alot of riders peaked for it to make a good impression. I'm sure some things have changed by now but just really focus on the rest and nutition part of it and you should be ok, but be prepared to put in about 350 miles 5 days. Good luck.

· Registered
392 Posts
yeah they're pretty fun

I went to the NORBA mtb camp in santa cruz last summer and I'm going to the sonoma road came this year. they're a really cool experience. Be ready to endure some wicked pain though. the mtb camp was hard enough, and i'm sure there will be more competion this year. Also-some of the things on the packing list are wack. a dress shirt? come on. maybe its more of a big deal at the road camp, but for mtbers? yea right...have fun and who knows we might meet up @ the nat'l camp....:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.