Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's using an external USB battery to charger their Garmin, what are you using, and how do you like it?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've used this with my phone and it worked well both in a jersey pocket and zip-tied under a phone cradle. You'd either have to jury rig something to strap it close to the Garmin or keep it in a seat bag and use a long cable.

If you don't mind spending $50, there's this.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I currently run a Lepow Moonstone myself as a USB battery pack and charge my motoACTV with it from time to time. I also have some cheap USB battery packs that are similar to this.

While I haven't done a ride long enough to require charging on the go, a combination between a battery pack and a Amazon Prime 6' cord will be about $25. Add some zip ties and you can stash the battery in the seat bag like mtrac suggested.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use a phone, Sony Xperia Active and IpBike, as my computer. Phone battery is only good for 4-5 hours so here is my setup. Evo Spacebar Bicycle Handlebar Computer Mount & Anker PowerCore+ mini 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Red Bicycle White Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle White Red

·
Registered
916 Posts
Who's using an external USB battery to charger their Garmin, what are you using, and how do you like it?
Is this intended to be a question about charging while riding, i.e. an external battery installed on a bicycle? Or is it about portable charging in general, e.g. off the bicycle on a rest stop?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I use a solar charger/battery during century and longer rides. I think I bought it on eBay a few years ago. It's the size of a iPhone 5 but only charges the 10000 mAH battery 50% by solar (still enough to charge my Garmin) so you have to charge via USB to get to 100%.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this intended to be a question about charging while riding, i.e. an external battery installed on a bicycle? Or is it about portable charging in general, e.g. off the bicycle on a rest stop?
it's for charging while riding - I'll need my back light running and navigation for longer than the Garmin 510 battery will last based on my napkin calculations, and won't be stopped long enough to charge it. Thinking something that will fit in a top tube bag and leave lots of space left for other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts