Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what is meant by the double line rule?

The Start/Finish line, parking, bathrooms and registration will be located at the Senior Center. This is located on the south side of the course. (by the first overpass). Since we are running the long course the double line rule will take effect on the dog leg part of the course. Barriers will be in place. This rule will be strictly enforced by the five USCF officials on the course and in pace vehicles.

NOT US! Not my field ! If for some strange reason your field is caught by the following field you will immediately neutralize to 10 miles per hour and move to your right to let the field pass your group. If you have any thoughts of jumping in with the group passing and are caught please be aware that you will not be returning (our camera does not lie)

how would you interpret this? thanks

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
The double line rule is pretty much what it sounds like. You cannot at any time cross over the double yellow line. Generally it's in effect for all laps of a circuit or race with the exception of the finish.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
daneil said:
The double line rule is pretty much what it sounds like. You cannot at any time cross over the double yellow line. Generally it's in effect for all laps of a circuit or race with the exception of the finish.
USCF rules say that for any course that is not closed to traffic, the center line rule (i.e. no crossing whether double or not) is in effect. When would only a "double line" apply? - TF

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here in New England, it's usually called the "yellow line" rule

TurboTurtle said:
USCF rules say that for any course that is not closed to traffic, the center line rule (i.e. no crossing whether double or not) is in effect. When would only a "double line" apply? - TF
Yes indeed - while the rule is sometimes called the "double line" or "yellow line" rule, it is more appropriately called the center line rule. As TurboTurtle says, if the road is open to traffic, all the racers must treat the center line as a double yellow line and stay in their lane (even if there is a yellow dashed line, which ordinarily means that vehicles may cross it to pass). If there is no center line painted on the road, the racers must treat the center of the road as if there was a double yellow line, and not cross to the other side of the road (admittedly more difficult to enforce).

I'd also like to point out that in New England, this rule has been more strictly enforced in the past few years, and there have been some occasions where an entire field has been DQ'd because a few of the riders have crossed the double yellow line.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Clarity of English

capt_phun said:
Can someone explain what is meant by the double line rule?
They mean the center line rule, but don't really understand the origin of the phrase and so mis-use it. Just like the people who say "I could care less," when they should be saying "I couldn't care less." An edemic problem in today's world :)

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
They mean the center line rule, but don't really understand the origin of the phrase and so mis-use it. Just like the people who say "I could care less," when they should be saying "I couldn't care less." An edemic problem in today's world :)
Kerry, what's an "edemic"? Part of our endemic spelling problem? ;-) TF

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Thanks for clarifying for me Mark. I should have been more specific (or perhaps USCF should be). Yeah double line, center line, yellow line...it's all the same thing.

I've been noticing a stricter enforcement of the center line rule in the North East as well. Not that that's a bad thing on an open course, just that I've been noticing it. Less "we see you stop doing that" and more "one strike and you're out".

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
and "irregardless" and "unthaw".

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Got me!

TurboTurtle said:
Kerry, what's an "edemic"? Part of our endemic spelling problem? ;-) TF
Oh, it would be so tempting to go back and correct that typo! But then that would be cheating, wouldn't it? Time for a thread on the ethics of correcting screwups in your posts via the edit function. :)

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Hmmm

capt_phun said:
...Since we are running the long course the double line rule will take effect on the dog leg part of the course... This rule will be strictly enforced by the five USCF officials...
My assumptions - So the race is taking place in a park which is closed to auto traffic so on most of the course you can race gutter to gutter. Also there will be multiple Cat's on the course at any one time. During one section of the course (the dog leg) you will have riders going both directions in an out and back format. What they may be trying to emphasize is that the yellow line rule will be strictly enforced during this section of the course where you have cyclist going in both directions and the potential for a head on collision is high.

Hint - I have been in races like this before and would suggest you position yourself near the gutter instead of the yellow line as someone going the other way always seems to get elbowed over the line. You do not want to hit another cyclist head on at race pace. The USCF knows they have a dangerous course but still want to run the race so they are trying to make it as safe as possible.

capt_phun said:
NOT US! Not my field ! If for some strange reason your field is caught by the following field you will immediately neutralize to 10 miles per hour and move to your right to let the field pass your group. If you have any thoughts of jumping in with the group passing and are caught please be aware that you will not be returning (our camera does not lie)
When racing you are not allowed to mix fields. If your Cat is screwing around taking it easy and the one that started xx minutes behind you is pushing the pace they may overtake you. In this situation the hard working group gets to move on up the road instead of being bottlenecked behind you. The no jumping/neutralization rule is so someone does not sneak out of your pack and into the other fast moving group. With the "dogleg" section they want the pass to occur as quickly as possible. In a normal situation they might allow the passing group to slide over the yellow line a bit more and hope (or stop) any auto traffic.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Just like the people who say "I could care less," when they should be saying "I couldn't care less." An edemic problem in today's world :)
thank you!!! this is my biggest pet peeve. i HATE it when people say that.
well, actually my biggest peeve is when people drive in the 'passing lane' when they are not passsing.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Yo!

argylesocks said:
thank you!!! this is my biggest pet peeve. i HATE it when people say that.
well, actually my biggest peeve is when people drive in the 'passing lane' when they are not passsing.
A soul mate! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My freaking 8th grade English teacher was the biggest user of "irregardless." How annoying. I still remember it. No less an authority than William Safire recently threw up his hands about people misusing this one - how sad is that?

On the people going slowly (or at least not passing) in the passing lane thing, I was thinking this morning driving into work (marathon days 6 days/week is really starting to get old, too) that this is actually a fairly major societal breakdown. My current project has me going from DC to Baltimore round trip daily. I NEVER used to pass on the right, but now do it all the time. People have no idea what a flash of the brights means. Most times the culprit is yacking on the cell phone, totally oblivious. I don't drive like a maniac either, generally within 10 mph of speed limit on I-95. People drive the limit in the left lane all the time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What drives me crazy is people who don't understand that it's appropriate to pass on the right if there are 3 or more lanes. What's even worse than the people who slow up the passing lane, of course, are the drivers who drive up right behind people and tail gate them thinking that it will somehow make them move over.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
tobu said:
What drives me crazy is people who don't understand that it's appropriate to pass on the right if there are 3 or more lanes. What's even worse than the people who slow up the passing lane, of course, are the drivers who drive up right behind people and tail gate them thinking that it will somehow make them move over.

You really should move to Germany- no worries about speeding tickets on the autobahn, everyone seems to know how to drive, in some sections, trucks cannot drive in the "passing lane" at all. If you are driving slower than 160kmh, get out of the way. I have never seen anyone pass on the right-- or NEED to.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I have never seen anyone pass on the right-- or NEED to.
Some credit must be given to the law. There's a hefty fine for passing on the right - just as there is for impeding fast-moving traffic.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've driven on the autobaun, I love how people stay out of the "passing lane" or "fast lane". They pass and get over. Should be a law in every state of the union. You gotta love the guy that drives along in the fast lane for miles at the same speed of a car in the slow lane side by side..... can you say road rage?

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Where do you live?

Sub said:
I've driven on the autobaun, I love how people stay out of the "passing lane" or "fast lane". They pass and get over. Should be a law in every state of the union. You gotta love the guy that drives along in the fast lane for miles at the same speed of a car in the slow lane side by side..... can you say road rage?
In New England we have three lane roads (six lanes total) and need all three to move the traffic to work and back home. If we gave up one lane for passing, we would have 33% less road. That would really suck. Most of the rush hour traffic is moving at 30 mph in all three lanes. Count your blessings.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
German law allows for rush hour urban traffic. If the left lane can only move 60 km/h or less, it's permissable to pass on the right at a maximum speed differential of 20 km/h.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts