Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As an unattached racer, would I be allowed to wear a jersey in a sanctioned race that had my name on it, but no club names, team names, or advertising? I ask this because the USCF rule book states, "(e) Club Jerseys. In competition, no rider shall wear the emblem, inscription, or uniform of any club or team which the rider is not eligible to represent, nor may a 30 | @usacycling Chapter 1 | General Regulations club/team create a jersey, design or emblems that might be confused with the US National Team or National Champion jersey. "
Technically, I would be representing myself as my own club/team as an unattached rider and I wouldn't want some overly zealous race official telling me that I can't wear it. I was at a race back in '99 where a guy got in a dispute with a race official over some non-related trivial matter, and the race official ejected him from racing that day because he had a jersey that had "Pearl Izumi" in large letters on the back of the jersey(PI's advertising, but not team/club advertising) because Pearl Izumi manufactured the jersey.
I wanted to have a custom jersey made for myself that resembled an old-school high school varsity football jersey with my last name across the top back panel and on the side panels, and last 2 digits of my birth year as the typical player number on the back panel. Would I be disqualified from racing if I wore this? Educated answers only please. Thank you.

· Administrator
13,174 Posts
As a former official, this should be fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: Paceliner

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
Worst case scenario is if they won't let you participate because of something on your jersey, you can always wear it inside out where it doesn't show.

• Helpful
Reactions: Paceliner

· Registered
289 Posts
As an unattached racer, would I be allowed to wear a jersey in a sanctioned race that had my name on it, but no club names, team names, or advertising? I ask this because the USCF rule book states, "(e) Club Jerseys. In competition, no rider shall wear the emblem, inscription, or uniform of any club or team which the rider is not eligible to represent, nor may a 30 | @usacycling Chapter 1 | General Regulations club/team create a jersey, design or emblems that might be confused with the US National Team or National Champion jersey. "
Technically, I would be representing myself as my own club/team as an unattached rider and I wouldn't want some overly zealous race official telling me that I can't wear it. I was at a race back in '99 where a guy got in a dispute with a race official over some non-related trivial matter, and the race official ejected him from racing that day because he had a jersey that had "Pearl Izumi" in large letters on the back of the jersey(PI's advertising, but not team/club advertising) because Pearl Izumi manufactured the jersey.
I wanted to have a custom jersey made for myself that resembled an old-school high school varsity football jersey with my last name across the top back panel and on the side panels, and last 2 digits of my birth year as the typical player number on the back panel. Would I be disqualified from racing if I wore this? Educated answers only please. Thank you.
My sense is that officials are a little more laid back these days...the sport saw explosive growth in the late 90s and early 2000's (Lance Effect) but has been shrinking the last several years (at least racing has). It's harder to hold onto and sell new customers if they feel they're being harassed/humiliated over minor issues that do not create a safety issue of an unfair competitive advantage (they're still all over those like flies on poop, and should be). Back in 2001, I did see an official quote the above rule to a guy on the start line who was wearing a sleeveless jersey (bigger no no than jersey logos) and had world champ stripes on his gloves, but he just gave him a good natured warning and let him race.

At a local race and in a cat 4/5 field, if you show up in a world, national championship, or U.S. Postal jersey, my guess is they'd point the rule out to you and let you race. Show up to amateur, junior, or masters nationals in the same jersey, and you'd probably get a different response.

I myself have raced in a kit that did was not for my current club. I'd just changed clubs, race was early season, and my new clothing was not in yet. I think I even made a late move off the front (masters field), and I'm pretty sure no one noticed (officials are not going to compare kits to licenses).

As to the guy who got booted back in '99, it sounds more like it was less about clothing and more like he broke the #1 rule of life "Don't be a douche.!" Be nice to the officials. ALWAYS, try to thank at least one volunteer, one police officer, and one official before you leave the race. Karma comes around and goes around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts