Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there such rules? Can there be mulitple cat 5 races (without having people cross enter)? They should be looking to expand the sport, not limit it. I know some areas can barely fill 10 for a Cat 5, but DC metro area is busting at the gut.

It is unbelieveable this year, the 3/4, 4's, and 5's fill up within 1 day.

Usually there are 10 spots maybe a week before the race.

This one race here, opened last night at 9 pm.. I just checked today at NOON, and it is full. It was probably full last night: (cat 3/4, and cat 5) :mad:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=3225

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,405 Posts
I've seen promoters run two Cat five races. Usually they shorten the races a little (20 min + 2 laps) If you have 80 people sign up for a cat 5 race and the limit is 50 riders, you have to do something. That's a lot of money to throw away.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MR_GRUMPY said:
I've seen promoters run two Cat five races. Usually they shorten the races a little (20 min + 2 laps) If you have 80 people sign up for a cat 5 race and the limit is 50 riders, you have to do something. That's a lot of money to throw away.

bikereg limits to 50 (+ a few who can slip in at 51/52).. so they technically they wouldn't know if they could of had more.

I can understand the dilemna of having "two winners from Cat 5"... oh well

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
bas said:
Are there such rules? Can there be mulitple cat 5 races (without having people cross enter)? They should be looking to expand the sport, not limit it. I know some areas can barely fill 10 for a Cat 5, but DC metro area is busting at the gut.
Nope, no rules limiting the number of cat. 5 races (or other category races) at an event. If the promotor really felt like it, they could offer a morning cat. 5 race for early birds, and an afternoon cat. 5 race for late sleepers. Here in New England, races frequently have 2 cat. 5 fields, usually divided up by age (for example, one for under-35, and another for 35+).

bas said:
It is unbelieveable this year, the 3/4, 4's, and 5's fill up within 1 day.

Usually there are 10 spots maybe a week before the race.

This one race here, opened last night at 9 pm.. I just checked today at NOON, and it is full. It was probably full last night: (cat 3/4, and cat 5) :mad:
The other thing you have to keep in mind is that a promotor is free to offer any fields they choose to, or not offer a field if they choose not to. Unfortunately, not all promotors can keep everybody happy all the time. Also keep in mind that most promotors are not in it to make money - they are donating a lot of time and energy to put on a race, with little return for their efforts. In other words, you are probably lucky that there are any races at all, let alone the particular field you want to get in to!

When you say "they should be looking to expand the sport", who do you mean? Bicycle racing is still primarily a grass-roots sport in the US, which means that you are included in they. If you went to a promotor and offered to help them out in putting on a race or two in exchange for more lower category races, they would probably take you up on the offer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts