Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a very interesting design. Instead of relying on the expander plug to pull the fork "up" and thus preload the headset bearings, this thing seems to expand the stack by tightening a screw in the bottom ring after the stem has been tightened onto the steerer. (#1 in the picture) Wonder if it works and stays where you put it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
interesting....

so this would negate the need for the expander plug alltogether? That would make it a little lighter and would eliminate any safety concerns of scratching the inside of a carbon steerer tube.

I still wonder how you would preload the bearings. with the wheel attatched to the fork do you just push down on the stem till its tight against the upper cup, then tighten the stem....then tighten the o-ring? i dunno

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you hand press the stack together and tighten the stem bolts. Then, you turn the little hex head screw in that bottom ring which expands the bottom ring and takes up the slop. Theory I guess is that the slop is very minimal and the expansion of the ring can take care of it.

It intrigues me because on at least a couple of occasions I've had expander plugs that fail to grab the inside of the steerer tightly enough. Tightening the top cap just slowy pulls the plug out of the steerer. This would certainly eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Problems are small adjusting hardware on the Ring-Go-Star. (2 and 3mm allens). Also, some of the USE stems are plugged on top. This makes it impossible to raise or lower the bars without cutting the steerer all the time.

The ring-go-star system is only 10 grams or so lighter than the traditional aheadset.

Just doesn't seem to be a great improvement. Face it, when have you had problems tightening your headset?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point on the small allens - the one thing I hate about my Alien post.

In terms of adjustment - might well be a solution in search of a problem. I've really only had two issues with adjustment - one Reynolds plug that just wouldn't grab and one Colnago plug that grabbed so hard it's never coming out. The former requires a gentle hand when taking out the slop and the latter is going to be a genuine problem if I ever have to take the stem off (as in the bottom half of the wedge is going to fall down into the fork while the grippy part stays put forever.)

Though I do like the concept. I'm wondering though if it would stay put.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Carbon fiber is generally isn't effected by surface damage. What you see is just the finishing and not part of the structure. For instance, Cannondale uses a propriety star nut with their carbon steerers which drags deep visible grooves as you set it to the correct depth. Another example is the max length line and numbers scored into the Alien carbon post. It's really no problem unless you begin to damage the fibers and structure inside.

mr meow meow said:
so this would negate the need for the expander plug alltogether? That would make it a little lighter and would eliminate any safety concerns of scratching the inside of a carbon steerer tube.

I still wonder how you would preload the bearings. with the wheel attatched to the fork do you just push down on the stem till its tight against the upper cup, then tighten the stem....then tighten the o-ring? i dunno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts