Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez, no wonder you road bikers always get hit, must have passed 3 bikers in the last week after dark riding on the road, couldn't even see them, if I had drifted out of my lane slightly or some other distraction the guys would have been hit.
As much as a weight weenie as I am, I still put a tail light on my new road bike the same week I bought it, I even use it on bright sunny days on back roads so when I go into a shady tree covered area, the cars can see me.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i use a small taillight blinkie when i'm in the dark. i know i'm invisible at night and many drivers are idiots, esp the female ones that come within inches of hitting me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
i use a small taillight blinkie when i'm in the dark. i know i'm invisible at night and many drivers are idiots, esp the female ones that come within inches of hitting me.
if it's dark, how do you know they're female? just curious...

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
oh one came within some inches of me today in broad daylight. curiosity kills cats

·
Registered
115 Posts
And dont talk on your phone while riding, Damnit. Especially if riding one handed causes you to swerve all over the road.

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
hikertoo said:
Geez, no wonder you road bikers always get hit, must have passed 3 bikers in the last week after dark riding on the road, couldn't even see them, if I had drifted out of my lane slightly or some other distraction the guys would have been hit.
As much as a weight weenie as I am, I still put a tail light on my new road bike the same week I bought it, I even use it on bright sunny days on back roads so when I go into a shady tree covered area, the cars can see me.
I haven't seen anyone on a road bike here that didn't at least have some sort of light at night. Generally the all-black wearing, no light having, idiots are on dept store "mountain bikes" and traveling the wrong direction on the road.. or on the sidewalk (before we get into that argument, it's illegal here.) I've taken to just keeping both my headlight and taillight on my morning rides after numerous women in SUV's have turned into me. Although come to think of it, the bright blinking LED canister light doesn't seem to get their attention either

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
dysfunction said:
I haven't seen anyone on a road bike here that didn't at least have some sort of light at night. Generally the all-black wearing, no light having, idiots are on dept store "mountain bikes" and traveling the wrong direction on the road.. or on the sidewalk...
Wow, really?
Not in Portland- that's our hipster "bike culture" at it's finest; dark clothes, no lights on fixies w/ no brakes. Perfect for a night ride! :eek:

·
Banned
175 Posts
Right on Rusted Angel - I fall into the category of I want to be seen and make the driver say "what is that" so i have lights on both day and night. During the nights i have a bar L&M 1400 lumen light, the helmet mounted L&M VIs 360 and the L&M Vis 180 on the seatpost. This provide double lights front, rear and also the side. During the day i have a bar L&M Stella 150 on blink mode, the helmet mounted L&M Vis 360 on blink mode and the L&M Vis 180 on the seatpost. This seems to give me good visibility since most of the time the cars go wide around me. The helmet light allows me to point the beam at the driver - stops them everytime.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was passed yesterday on my early morning commute by two road cyclists in full kit with headlights and no tail lights. They completely disappeared in the shadows between street lights and under trees with the full moon out. On a dark morning, they would have been invisible even more.

I caught them and told them how unsafe they were, and they politely said thank you and rode off, probably remarking what a jerk I was for even speaking to them when riding a hybrid bicycle with panniers and standard workout clothing instead of a kit.

Me, I ride with a blinky tail light and headlight, plus I kept the reflectors on my commuter hybrid. I can and do put lights on my road bike when I ride it early as well, but I did take off all the reflectors off my Immortal Pro as they don't belong on a bike built for speed!

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
RRRoubaix said:
Wow, really?
Not in Portland- that's our hipster "bike culture" at it's finest; dark clothes, no lights on fixies w/ no brakes. Perfect for a night ride! :eek:
Yep, it might be different if I lived in central Tucson, down by the college.. But I live way out on the east side, so all I generally see are folks putting in miles.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
I was cruising downhill tonight on a long stretch of highway within the city, doing about 27mph during rush hour. I looked over as an SUV went by at maybe 27.5mph, and the dude behind the wheel was in full-on texting mode, both hands on the phone, steering with his forearms, and only looked up once while I was watching.

·
Registered
448 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
Nice generalization.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
strathconaman said:
Tail and head lights please. The frequency and severity of head on collisions are both greater than rear-enders.
i was making a left turn on a green light and lady traveling in opposite direction makes a right onto the same street (not stopping) lady didnt see me and turn in front of me, luckily i was anticipating that and slowed down to prevent my untimely encounter into the rear quarter panel of her van

i think strobing LED front lights MIGHT have helped

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just almost ran over a dude on the way home a few minutes ago. I don't think it's smart to be a black guy, wearing all black, and riding a black mountain bike at night with no reflector or lights. I came right up to him with my truck before I saw him. What an idiot!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hikertoo said:
Geez, no wonder you road bikers always get hit.
Us road bikers, well who the heck are you. If you're not one of us...then why even comment.
Does that mean you are one of those MTB riders, or are you just a troll that likes to drive cars all the time.

I have ridden since 1983 without a rear blinky light and do not always get hit. Be careful how you use the word "always", and " never:" .

Oh, and by the way...we are cyclists. Bikers wear leather and ride Harleys.

Maybe you should suggest we ride on sidewalks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts