Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here,
I found a guy selling a Raleigh Record Ace (made in England) It said it had shimano DX gruppo but when I looked at it all I saw was Shimano 600 parts. It has 700cm tubular tires on Mavic GP 4 rims. He did not know the year but thought it was 80's. He is asking $400.00 for it.

Can someone give me some feedback? It was in great condition and was lighter than I anticipated (weight ???)

Thanks!

· Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
That sounds like a nice older bike, but not for $400. Ultimately, with older bikes (actually, most bikes in general), marque and components are everything. Raleighs, while serviceable and wonderful bikes, just don't have the same cachet that a Merckx or De Rose have, even if they're both "equal".

See if you can get the seller to consider $250 – that's a much more fair price, but honestly, if you want the bike and it fits you, buy it. It's not like we're talking about thousands of dollars.

· Registered
606 Posts
One other point of view- try riding a new entry-level $700 ride, w/ STI shifters (so that you can shift w/o taking your hands off the handlebars).

You might change your mind about the 'savings', especially since a good Local Bike Shop can give you advice, a good fitting (the most important aspect of a bike that will help you enjoy riding), adjustments, etc., for free if you buy new from them.

Some are bound to disagree, and others are bound to agree. I saved by buying used, but know what to look for, and was extremely fortunate to come across the deal that I did. But in my humble opinion, if you're just starting out in riding, you don't save nearly as much by buying a used bike like you do w/ buying a used car.

· Registered
72 Posts
I found an old Raleigh 555sl has Team USA color red,white, and blue for $20 dollars at a garage sale the only thing I did to it was new tires, saddle, handle bar wrap.

I think from what I have seen is people want a new price for an old bike. spend that extra money and get a new bike instead of paying that amount for an old one.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I did not think the bike was worth $400 at least to me but I didn't want to pass up a 'gem' because of my inexperience. I was looking at some newer bikes that I really like even though the price is steeper. Thanks again for the feedback...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.