Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a top shelf Ridley on eBay for a steal. The bike had a curious history in that it was never ridden but instead did duty as a commercial photo shoot bike. Indeed, it came in great shape. I copied my fit and rode it on one ten mile ride but am not a fan of Shimano and never really warmed up to it. One toy too many I suppose. Anyhow, I figured I could easily sell it for close to a thousand dollars more than I purchased it for as even at that price it would be less than the prevalent internet price.

I have it up on eBay, on Craigslist and RBR classifieds and nothing. No bites. I'm a bit surprised. I guess I figured it would be easier to move it downstream. 499 views, something like 37 people watching it and no sale.

I did get an offer for the frame only at the same price I purchased the complete bike for. Not bad. But then I'm left with Ultegra 11 speed group set and mid range Fulcrum wheels. Regardless, I think the guy is in Germany and not Phoenix as his username suggested and I'd rather not ship to Europe if I can avoid it. I'd love to lower the price for the eBay crowd but eBay takes a big chunk! 13% between paypal and ebay fees. On a purchase like this that's....$344.

I didn't write this to spur interest in the bike, it's more of a rant. September is approaching, wifey and I have to move soon, kid on the way a few months later, and this unloved thoroughbred Noah Ridley SL is still sitting in my basement. I guess I'll just lower the price and quit whining.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Get rid of the "aero" moniker in the title. Many road riders see "aero" and stop reading right there. Rewrite the description completely. As it stands now, it sounds like an email to a friend written late at night by someone who had a bit too much wine. Hard technical facts only, as many as you can muster. Zero personal information. Delete everything about the photo shoot, it sounds like BS to many viewers. Check and recheck spelling (Barry ridden.....??)

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
^^ agree

Could not find it on eBay.

Anyway, it's well known that complete bikes are a tougher sell. I recently sold a barely used trail bike. Took me over 6 weeks. I started at what I thought was a reasonable price, and reduced it each week. Ended up clearing about $700 for something I'd invested $2,500 in.

Your choices are either reduce the ask, and keep reducing it, or part it out.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
9 times out of 10, what one pays on E-Bay is the market value. The world has already seen it and spoken as to it's value. If you can sell it and get your money back, including shipping and fees, consider yourself lucky.

What your ad tells me is that you bought it and do not like it. Why would I buy what you do not like. Dump the personal story and make the ad about the bike. Are there any good reviews on the bike that you can reference?

Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
OK I saw the ad.

1. price. ultimately it's always the price.
2. so which year is it? 2015 or 2016?
3. who's Barry?
4. where's Mew Jersey?
5. no info on components or wheels
6. what the others said

·
Registered
553 Posts
Poorly written ad and too much details that are not significant to this bike.

I would also ditch the picture of the front derail with the frayed cable as some may take it as poor maintenance on this bike.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Just FYI. I read it as a potential buyer and two things jumped out. Size M is annoying. Went to the Ridley web-site and it wasn't immediately clear about the size. All the dimensions are there, yes, but that isn't a great approach as a seller. Make it easy. Size M (55) or something. Also, the model, Noah SL 10,20 or 30? Maybe I missed it... Then, clear price.

I'd lead with the skinny:

2015 Ridley Noah SL 20, size M (55). $2,500 OBO. Perfect new condition. Barely ridden, less than 50 miles.

Something ng like that. Then fill in the color:

This is the Lotto Soudal Team issue frame with mixed Dura-Ace and Ultegra 11sp. 53/39 11/28. Look wide platform pedals included. Frame and components are perfect, no nickels or scratches. Wheels are upgraded XXXXX bike weighs 17lbs with pedals and cages.

Just my .02. Great bike!

Reactions: ParadigmDawg

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crazy! I hadn't realized that ad was filled with so many spelling errors. I did write it on my iPhone but thought I proof read it. Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback. I scrapped the ad and rewrote it as suggested.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What your ad tells me is that you bought it and do not like it. Why would I buy what you do not like.
This was good feedback. It did sound like I was selling something that I didn't like (for whatever reason).

I already got an offer for the frame only which would make me whole for my purchase price. I'd be left with wheels and Ultegra 11.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
maybe there was a reason it was "for a steal" first time around. not that known frame, so few will find it. can get new frame now for what you want. So not that much to save. And "less than 50 miles" should make anyone ponder.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The problem is selling it fixed price. My experience is to let it go in an auction on ebay. The bidding frenzy usually gets pretty high on a good bike and people end up falling in love and bid up the price. Speak to hard to find, quality, and fast in the description of the bike. It is a great bike, and Ebay has enough of a following that you get market price. People pay more in auction than they do in a "buy it now". This is your issue. Its getting late in the season, put it in a auction and make sure they end on sunday afternoon. Best time for people to buy stuff.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
maybe there was a reason it was "for a steal" first time around. not that known frame, so few will find it. can get new frame now for what you want. So not that much to save. And "less than 50 miles" should make anyone ponder.
It went for a steal because the seller didn't clean the frame and posted terrible pictures. I assessed the listing, took the risk, and the bike arrived literally new. This whole thread - and OP, me - deserve a small violin GIF as I can make the bike disappear at cost easily. So this is really a stubborn first world problem.

Yes, I am aware that competitive cyclist is running a special on the frame for a limited quantity. However, this is a complete built bike. With half a thousand views I think people know what a Ridley is.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I would also ditch the picture of the front derail with the frayed cable as some may take it as poor maintenance on this bike.
Yeah, this makes it look like a hack wrench has been working on it and wondering what else is FUBAR'd on the bike.

Then there's the 25mm of spacers over the stem which makes a person wonder about the condition of the steering tube.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts