Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a used Edge 705 tomorrow (w/ heart rate, cadence, bike mount, usb, wall charger, cd manual, and City Navigator for US). The seller describes the condition as flawless, and only used a couple times. Other than cosmetics and powering the unit on, what do I need to look out for?

Edit: Any firmware update, upload-ability, warrenty concerns with buying used?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought a refirb off Ebay and it works great. Can't think of much to look for other than the obvious. It's a nice unit.
I think the latest firmware is 3.2, but I'm still on 3.1 just because I haven't got around to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wife & I both have705's. Just got back from a ride today (we did exact same route). Somehow she got 900' more climb than me..... go figure. On second thought she bought her's used so maybe that's better if you want more clinbing #s.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
cranecamsou said:
I'm looking at a used Edge 705 tomorrow (w/ heart rate, cadence, bike mount, usb, wall charger, cd manual, and City Navigator for US). The seller describes the condition as flawless, and only used a couple times. Other than cosmetics and powering the unit on, what do I need to look out for?

Edit: Any firmware update, upload-ability, warrenty concerns with buying used?

The firmware updates can come from the updater you download from the Garmin web site.

Also, you'll want to completely erase all previous user stuff. Call Garmin waaay early in the morning so you get through quickly on how to do this.

Other than that, I'd let the battery run down to almost nil, then charge it up.

Hope it helps...

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Check to make sure the case is not separating. The battery is on the bottom half, and the computer is on the top half. They're connected by spring contacts, and when the contacts don't make good contact you can have shut-downs every time you hit a bump. This was the case with my 305, and the fix, while effective, required soldering. I've moved on to an Edge 500, because it doesn't have the same design flaw and it has a stronger mount that's easier to move from bike to bike. If you don't require maps, I would go that direction.

The speed/cadence sensors usually fail from corrosion on the internal board. Difficult or impossible to see. Not a show stopper, you'll just lose cadence if it fails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advise, thanks guys. Just picked it up an hour ago. Case is in great shape, not a scratch or mark on it anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts