Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a pair of Continental GP4000's from PBK and they came with no packaging whatsoever. There is a little piece of string to keep each tire folded. They don't look like they've been mounted but they don't exactly look new either.

Anyone had this? Seems a little weird.

tanks.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I haven't bought tires from them PBK, but I have purchased tires that came that way. The tires at my LBS only have paper price tags on them, nothing else.

·
Registered
832 Posts
None of my tires have come in any sort of carton or box. Just folded-up with a label, and wrapped in any old paper the shop had laying about. I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Peanya said:
I'd imagine they've done that to save on shipping.
Gentlemen, we have a winner.

Most everything from PBK comes stripped from retail packaging to save on freight.

Also because some of it is grey market and doesn't have proper retail packaging.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've ordered from PBK..some things items come in factory packaging, some not. If I vaguely recall, out of the 5 or 6 orders the only item that came packaged was a Ritchey WCS wetblack seatpost. I imagine it's to save shipping cost (which is free)...

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts

they were probably the gp4's i returned cause i couldn't get them on my damn wheels!!!
those tires are BRUTAL!!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
tober1 said:
Just got a pair of Continental GP4000's from PBK ........but they don't exactly look new either..........
They weren't mine.

I got some Continental GP4000's, rode them about 150 miles and then gave them away.

Live and learn. :(

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
MerlinAma said:
They weren't mine.

I got some Continental GP4000's, rode them about 150 miles and then gave them away.

Live and learn. :(
They rolled too fast for you right? :)

If you leave me guessing I'm gonna REALLY guess!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't really worried. More curious.

Shipping costs seems like a pretty good answer although I can't imagine a cardboard sleve would make much of a difference. Either way my commuter will thank me.

PBK sure has great prices but their shipping is a total crap-shoot. Last tires I ordered took 5 days to Toronto, this set arrived today (Apr 15) and were ordered March 24.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I ordered some new old stock Pro 2 Races a couple months ago from Wiggle and they came unfolded in a big wheel box. The tires were fine. It just happens some times I guess.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have ordered lots of tires from PBK.
The Vittoria's always came in Manufacturer's Box and a Packing Slip.
The Continental's (GP 4000s and Gatorskins) came folded and tied with a string, but looked absolutely BRAND NEW, plus a Packing Slip.
I have never had a problem with tires purchased from PBK.
John

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
This was my PBK story in another thread about three weeks ago:

FIRST POST:

We'll have a little PBK test now.

I ordered 4 Michelin Prorace 3 tires last week and my secretary just walked in with the package out of the office mailbox.

Hmmmm very suspicious. The package is partially ripped open and only one tire remains inside.

On further inspection of the remaining tire, the plastic packaging holding it has a sharp pointy edge (like part of the original has been cut) and it seems like that may have been the reason the package is "ripped".

Of course the package is a thin plastic bag which probably cost them $.04 US dollars.

So I've sent them an email.

We'll see how long it takes to get this all sorted out.

BTW, I have already made one trip to USPO and they said take it up with PBK first.

One more thing, the secretary doesn't use Michelin tires.

SECOND POST:

Here is what I think.

Michelin tires (at least the ProRace model) comes folded with a really tough plastic wrapper. The top of that wrapper is usually square and has rounded corners and a hole in the center to hang on a rack.

Perhaps in the process of unpackaging a large container if these tires, someone inadvertently slit the end off at an angle which left a sharp pointed edge.

During shipment, that sharp edge punctured the blue plastic (which I agree is very tough) and three of the tires came out.

PBK has already responded to my e-mail and is sending three more tires. I'll confirm when they arrive just so you'll know.

Whose fault? Probably the person responsible for cutting the wrapper leaving the sharp edge. Of course if PBK has used a box, that wouldn't have mattered. But I understand plastic is cheaper than cardboard and I've never had a problem with their shipments before.

Not the fault of the postal service as far as I can tell.

If someone stole the three tires, the were very clever in leaving one in with the sharp edge leading me to the theory described above.

THIRD POST (Happy Ending):

Just as a follow up, my replacement tires arrived today.

Kudos to PBK for prompt communication and making good on the order!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I vaguely recall one of my first PBK orders having odd packaging, but all my tires have always come with their normal packaging. Actually, my crank kit extractor came wedged inside one of the tire packs.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My first tire purchase with PBK was about a month ago - I ordered Continental GP 4-seasons - they both came in the manufacturer's packaging, i.e. boxes with instructions rubber-banded to each tire. I just ordered 2 sets of Vittoria Rubino Pro II's about a week/week and a half ago - they still aren't here yet. We'll see if those come in boxes or not.

The Conti's should come in boxes.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i still order a fair bit of stuff from PBK but their packing is not great. they use very thin plastic bags with no padding and generally dont wrap 'non packaged' items to protect them in transit. i was disappointed when the bidons in my last order arrived fairly scuffed up from the other items in the package that were not padded out properly. i accept this as they are very cheap, and i am not going to whinge to them about $8 bidons but i often dont mind paying a few dollars more at other shops to have better packing...

eg, i just ordered a handlebar from wiggle and it arrived 4 days later in a box around the size of a case of beer, and padded out very nicely. it cost about $10 for international shipping.

edit - have not had the 'used' experience by the OP, perhaps the packaging was damaged and they stripped it before sending to you... i am sure PBK get deals on whole pallets of water/warehouse damaged items that they sell on after they strip the damaged packaging, i dont have a problem with that personally.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
pbk

I had ordered a set of michelin krylion carbon tires for commuting and I didn't have any issues, they came delivered in a sealed plastic bag in the original michelin tire boxes. Took 5-6 days I think, used the RBR code to save an additional 5%, worked fine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
danl1 said:
Gentlemen, we have a winner.

Most everything from PBK comes stripped from retail packaging to save on freight.

Also because some of it is grey market and doesn't have proper retail packaging.
I have gotten look pedals from them with no factory packaging what so ever. But the vittoria tires I got last from them had the factory packaging.

They probably tell the order packers to remove factory packaging to save on freight, but it would depend on the order packer if they actually do or not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts