1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wildly excited to be going to on my first loaded tour ever, in
the Canadian rockies in August. I don't have a suitable bike and need
some advice in this regard.

My preference is to rent a bike. Is anyone aware of a place that
rents suitable bike in the bay area or jasper/banff/calgary/edmonton?
When I was in Europe last year, I rode with riders who had rented
loaded touring bikes. Is there such a thing here?

(by suitable bike, I mean a bike geared for loaded touring, rack
mountable, preferably canti brakes, sturdy wheelset, etc.)

Alternatively, any ideas where I might find such a used bike (for a
small woman) listed for sale? I've looked at craigslist, ebay, etc.
and don't see anything. Are there any touring specific lists that
might have a classified section?

I am
interested in exploring rental/used bikes before buying yet another bike.
Thanks for the info
NM

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
You might consider buying a BOB trailer and using any of the bikes you already own that has a touring gear range. Buying a trailer likely won't cost much more than renting a bike and they are darn useful things to own.

Carrying the weight in the trailer will reduce your wheel and stability issues and you can easily remove it for times on your tour when you don't need to haul all your baggage.

· Registered
398 Posts
++++1

MB1 said:
You might consider buying a BOB trailer and using any of the bikes you already own that has a touring gear range. Buying a trailer likely won't cost much more than renting a bike and they are darn useful things to own.

Carrying the weight in the trailer will reduce your wheel and stability issues and you can easily remove it for times on your tour when you don't need to haul all your baggage.
The BOB is a good option, or you may look into the Burley Nomad as well. I've had excellent luck with the Nomad and you don't have to be as picky about how you pack your load (weight distribution doesn't matter as much w/2 wheels). The only drawback I've come across is it is a bit wider than the BOB and less "single-trackable".

Have fun, and post pics of your upcoming trip when you return!:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.