Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have one or know where i could get one for pretty cheap? not for a road bike so weight really isnt an issue.. just wondering if maybe someone has one and got an endo hub and now they dont need..

· chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
hi tamu,

depending on the contents of my roommates' and my junk boxes, I may have one for ya in a week or two. he's hellbent on building up my old schwinn hardtail so he can destroy me out at crested butte. pm me if interested.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
tamu said:
does anyone have one or know where i could get one for pretty cheap? not for a road bike so weight really isnt an issue.. just wondering if maybe someone has one and got an endo hub and now they dont need..
You aren't planning on using it on a fixed gear, are you? - TF

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, its for a trials mountan bike that i recently build a ss rear wheel for.. i would continue using the deraileur, but i put that and the chain on my girlfriends bike i built

so now.. i need to get something new, and with a ss or bmx chain, im going to need to shim a deraileur with washers if i were to get it working with a wider chain..

in short, if im going to need to buy something new, i might as well get something specificically designed for the task

also need to get a kmc kool 810 chain.. but the bike shop here are ****, they are like, we still need to make some money off of it.. so a tensioner that costs us 25$ umm.. we could cut you a deal and sell it for 40.. and i just splurged on a fixie.. so im kinda up the creek as far as money.. but hopefully the giant bowery will keep me entertained until i can aquire the parts needed

· Registered
1,006 Posts
A request

tamu said:
but the bike shop here are ****, they are like, we still need to make some money off of it..
tamu said:
anyone happen to have a good deal on a bike in my size, thats not some gay color
I'm sure this will generate flames, but now that we're all well out of junior high, can we maybe stop using the words "gay" and "****" to denote things and people we dislike?
Let's show a little dignity, please.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Wow

Geez, I thought that in order to ride fixed you had to be a little politically inncorrect sometimes.

Just messing around don't get offened, I was going to make a joke about heterosexuals (straights!!!) here but I really don't want to push it.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I had purported that the community here would get upset with such quibs.

As for me, I have long since completed junior high. Furthermore, I dont feel any animosity towards homosexuals. I just feel that the english language has never suffered from retrogression, thus commonplace sobriquet like ***, has transcended the once original meaning of mere homosexuality or other english sentiments.

I am sure there is quite a verbose list of terms, may I even pose, actions, while once admonished, are now tolerated if not commended.

· Registered
32 Posts
I have to agree with BianchiJoe here...The English language (as well as most others, I suppose) is full of wonderful words with wish you can express disgust, dislike, disdain, or a variety of other emotions, (starting with the letter 'd' or otherwise), why use one that--whether you intend it to or not--expresses a certain amount of hatred toward an already oppressed group of people? And with a recent gay-bashing in what is probably one of the most gay-friendly neighborhoods in this country (the East Village in NYC) it's difficult for me to believe that we're just being 'hypersensitive.'

Anyway, this has nothing to do with bikes, but why not be a little more creative and expand your vocabulary so that you're able to express dislike in more interesting ways?

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Girl Anachronism said:
I have to agree with BianchiJoe here...The English language (as well as most others, I suppose) is full of wonderful words with wish you can express disgust, dislike, disdain, or a variety of other emotions, (starting with the letter 'd' or otherwise)
ok, lets start with the letter G or F, if i seriously believed that bicycles had a gender, or any sexual intensions, i could see you getting upset. it is a item. if you look at the origin of the word, in england, there is very little gay bashing connotation to it

Girl Anachronism said:
why use one that--whether you intend it to or not--expresses a certain amount of hatred toward an already oppressed group of people? And with a recent gay-bashing in what is probably one of the most gay-friendly neighborhoods in this country (the East Village in NYC) it's difficult for me to believe that we're just being 'hypersensitive.'
hatred? how many gay people say ***? is this going to turn into one of those issues like black people think its ok for them to use the N word and white people cant? or ghetto wiggars can use the N word?? like eminem?? hua? where do we draw the lines, this is stupid

the reason homosexuals are gitting so much crap, is because the republicans have nowhere else to turn to and the jews have already gone through it. besides, were figiting muslims, who are agains the jews, so how can we hate both sides??

Girl Anachronism said:
Anyway, this has nothing to do with bikes, but why not be a little more creative and expand your vocabulary so that you're able to express dislike in more interesting ways?
i have a fine vocabulary, but i also suck at spelling, or i just dont care to put much work into what i type on a forum about bikes.. short and to the point.. unlike my little sister, i dont go on for hours to say one thing

i expressed "distain" in they way i want to.. with that word.. furthermore, i dont have "distain" for the things im talking about.. it would better be defines as sarcasm thank you very much.. next thing i know i will be lambasted for talking bad about bush!! hell lets envoke the sedition act again!!! yes!

frankely, i am gor gay marrage, and equal rights and all that crap.. as long as its your business that great! :thumbsup: bush is sitting here trying to tell me homosexuals are going to split apart my family.. and my only refuge if my bible doest shoot out a beam of destuction (like bibleman on snl) is him and the republican party

there is nothing wrong with being gay. and if you believe the word gay, is derragatory, then you have some issues.. similarly, the word NAZI isnt deragatory.. is describes a group of people.. just because you have a negative connotation about who that word represents, doesnt mean i do

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ps, im not ticked off at anyone, this is more good fun that debate..

someone like me, who uses major amounts of sarcasm, does not have the right to get offended by such..

ps, why would i gay bash in a road bike forum, after all, im sure i could easily find a relation between homosexuals and road bikes, all i have to do is ask fox news!! :rolleyes:

· Registered
32 Posts
i'm not pissed off either, and i really don't care all that much about who says what. my point is that the way we talk about things has some sort of correlation with the way we think about them, and equating ***/gay with bad/stupid/annoying/whatever is not irrelevant. how often have you seen something you didn't like and said 'that's so nazi?' i don't think the analogy is all that relevant...when you use 'gay' as a substitue for 'bad' it does get a negative connotation...

i'm saying that there's plenty of other words, why use one that's still so often hurtful? just because you don't see a word as hurtful doesn't mean that lots of other folks haven't been hurt by it before...there are a whole host of epithets i'm sure we're all familiar with that are no longer socially acceptable, why should it be any different with ***?

and yeah, i think there is a difference between reclaiming a word and giving it positive connotations and using it in the same old boring way that homophobes and junior highers alike have been doing for far too long. if you wanna say that your really awesome new bike is really gay, go for it!

(also, i'm not accusing you of gay bashing in any way at all, but what do you think those kids who beat up kevin aviance were yelling?)

(ps don't forget that lesbians and liberals caused 9-11)

· Registered
1,006 Posts
tamu said:
if you believe the word gay, is derragatory, then you have some issues..
Then stop using it as a derogatory term. When you call people at your bike shop "****" and say that a color is "gay," you're using it in the pejorative sense. Can we not make a federal case out of this and just exhibit a modicum of maturity in our posts? Please?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.