Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting back into cycling for recreational and overall conditioning reasons. I don't have a big budget and looking to spend about $1000-$1500 on a good used bike. I'm considering this Trek on Craiglist. I haven't looked at it yet. But, wondering if a 9 speed versus a 10 speed is a big factor in deciding which bike to get. Also, does anyone out there think this bike is priced correctly?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/1123392375.html

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I'll be honest, they're lying. It doesn't have 100 miles. You don't keep a bike for 5 years in the garage that's worth thousands when you bought it to take the loss. It's been ridden at least a grand.

Anyways, I think for 9 spd, it's a bit pricey. Yes, 10 spd isn't that much better anyways than 9 spd, but $1300 for a used bike of 9 spd ultegra is high.

What this person is asking is about as much as I paid for one of my bikes with full 10 spd ultegra/dura ace mix. I would say $1000 is very reasonable... and would be my personal limit though I see lowballing around 800-900 very possible too.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
CleavesF said:
I'll be honest, they're lying. It doesn't have 100 miles. You don't keep a bike for 5 years in the garage that's worth thousands when you bought it to take the loss. It's been ridden at least a grand.

Anyways, I think for 9 spd, it's a bit pricey. Yes, 10 spd isn't that much better anyways than 9 spd, but $1300 for a used bike of 9 spd ultegra is high.

What this person is asking is about as much as I paid for one of my bikes with full 10 spd ultegra/dura ace mix. I would say $1000 is very reasonable... and would be my personal limit though I see lowballing around 800-900 very possible too.
to the op, sorry for the bad advice.

This post might be more in line with the bikes worth...

·
Registered
377 Posts
CleavesF said:
You don't keep a bike for 5 years in the garage that's worth thousands when you bought it to take the loss.
I have to disagree. I work with a guy that thought my lunch time rides looked fun so he went out and bought a brand new 2006, I think, Fuji Roubaix, Shimano SPDs, and the top of the line Shimano cabon-soled shoes. He put 34 miles on it.:mad2:

·
Registered
318 Posts
While 100 miles does sound abit low I have also found bikes on Craigslist that had very few miles on them. And even if this Trek had 1000 miles on it I ride that much in a good month. Offer $1,000.

·
497 Posts
$1000 limit

I agree, $1000 max (shipped). Start by offering $800. It's not your problem if they paid $2300 and rode it 100 miles. It's an outdated frame design with used Ultegra 9 components (low resale value regardless of actual mileage). Probabably does have low mileage, but has also been crashed and 7 years old. It's definitely a good quality bike if it fits you, but don't get stuck on it if he won't budge on price. Move on and keep looking. Other things to consider: Have you ridden a Trek and know it fits? With that stem length and and bars, you may also end up paying more money to swap stuff out. That's also a lot of money to pay for no warranty. Buy used at prices limited to where you can stomach a total loss, otherwise stick with "legitimate" purchases.

·
497 Posts
Re 9 vs 10

In terms of shifting performance and feel, I don't think there's that big a difference. Ultegra 10 feels a lot like Ultegra 9 with slightly different hood shape, IMO. A couple people told me they felt that 10 speed Ultegra is much more crisp. I disagree and think, that other than the hood ergonomics, the difference is much smaller than the jump up to either 9 or 10 speed dura ace. This is coming from a campy guy though who hasn't put a lot of miles on Shimano since 8 speed.

It'll be harder to find 9 speed parts in the future, although I can still find 15 year old 8 speed stuff and don't think there is a huge difference in the overall annual cost of keeping your bike running. The 9 speed chains definitely last longer but 10 speed has been around for a while so you'll be starting out already behind the 8 ball if this is a bike you plan to keep for several years. I tend to keep things for a long time, run it into the ground, and then get the newest latest and greatest, at least for the main bike.

So, no, there won't be much difference in your overall happiness with the bike. 10 speed would keep you more current for the future, but 9 speed allows for a lower offering price.

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts

i ride a 12 yr old oclv 5200 (quill stem, shi.600) as a winter bike.
still an unreal ride...
1k is a good deal for that complete setup....
if it has been ridden as low as they claim.... then so is 1.3k (flawless)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: Trek OCLV 5200

Thanks for all your advice! I've decided to go with a used 2008 LeMond Zurich (10sp) for $1150. I'm driving up to check it out and hopefully buy it this weekend. The current owner tells me it's in excellent condition. He also tells me it's never been dropped. Anything I should look for when inspecting?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Just sold a '05 madone 5.2 with dura ace shifters,cranks and RD. Rest Ultegra. EC70 bars, Chris King Headset for 1500 incl. Ultegra pedals.

I gave my friend a good deal. I'd pass on this one...smells.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tho66mas said:
Thanks for all your advice! I've decided to go with a used 2008 LeMond Zurich (10sp) for $1150. I'm driving up to check it out and hopefully buy it this weekend. The current owner tells me it's in excellent condition. He also tells me it's never been dropped. Anything I should look for when inspecting?
How did it go, have you got it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trek OCVL 5200

I purchased the LeMond Zurich this past weekend. I took it out yesterday. Awesome! Here are some pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts