Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
PEUGEOT PGN10 1984
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,,,, I’m gonna see & get a pair of used Tubular Mavic Monthlery-pro Rims (include its Tyres, Shimano Hubs and both QRs).... These wheel parts belong to a ‘1985/86-crushed Peugeot PX10’ which I’m also interested in buying some other parts of that (except its re-welded ‘Rey-531’ frame)!
What do you think expert Guys?!? How much worth these mentioned wheels?!? Thanks🤟🏼 Bicycle Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,495 Posts
If we had even the slightest clue as to what you are talking about, maybe we could help you. FWIW, 45 year-old tubular wheels are generally worth their scrap value in aluminum, and not much more (BTW, PX-10's were not being made in 1985; the bike you are looking at is probably 10-20 years older than that). The hubs are worth more than the complete wheels. With old crap like what you have, just disassemble the wheels and sell the hubs for maybe $20, cleaned up. Derailleurs, if decent and clean, might be worth a few bucks. If it has an intact Ideale saddle, THAT might be worth something...

·
Registered
27,482 Posts
Hi guys,,,, I’m gonna see & get a pair of used Tubular Mavic Monthlery-pro Rims (include its Tyres, Shimano Hubs and both QRs).... These wheel parts belong to a ‘1985/86-crushed Peugeot PX10’ which I’m also interested in buying some other parts of that (except its re-welded ‘Rey-531’ frame)!
What do you think expert Guys?!? How much worth these mentioned wheels?!? Thanks🤟🏼 View attachment 479268
Those are some nice rims. Too bad they're for tubulars. Big expense, a real PITA to mount. I've never made a patch on one that didn't bulge out and throw the wheel out of round. Never got them mounted even enough to equal the lesser rolling resistance of clinchers. I stayed with them for a couple of years, then went back to clinchers.

Found a nice pair of period correct aluminum Campy clincher rims that fit the same size spokes, So taped the rims together, transferred the spokes, and presto, a brand new set of wheels I'm still riding. The old Mavic rims were already starting to dimple around the spokes, a problem with tubulars. Clincher rims are heavied up with the tire bead and resemble an I beam. Tubular rims are shaped like a parallelogram, not as strong over the long run.

Your set would be fun to try out, though. They do roll nice like one size larger clinchers, and they lean into corners without distorting or losing grip. The rims are lighter than clinchers, so they feel like riding on moccasins instead of sneakers.

That looks like a Shimano 105 hub. Maybe some fresh grease after 40 years and check the bearing wear to see if it's worth it?

·
Registered
PEUGEOT PGN10 1984
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are some nice rims. Too bad they're for tubulars. Big expense, a real PITA to mount. I've never made a patch on one that didn't bulge out and throw the wheel out of round. Never got them mounted even enough to equal the lesser rolling resistance of clinchers. I stayed with them for a couple of years, then went back to clinchers.

Found a nice pair of period correct aluminum Campy clincher rims that fit the same size spokes, So taped the rims together, transferred the spokes, and presto, a brand new set of wheels I'm still riding. The old Mavic rims were already starting to dimple around the spokes, a problem with tubulars. Clincher rims are heavied up with the tire bead and resemble an I beam. Tubular rims are shaped like a parallelogram, not as strong over the long run.

Your set would be fun to try out, though. They do roll nice like one size larger clinchers, and they lean into corners without distorting or losing grip. The rims are lighter than clinchers, so they feel like riding on moccasins instead of sneakers.

That looks like a Shimano 105 hub. Maybe some fresh grease after 40 years and check the bearing wear to see if it's worth it?
Thanks for your response Fredrico.🙏🏼
I got those wheels yesterday. Those are really lightweight and surprised me! Yes you right, there are a Shimano105 HUB with a Shimano race Cassette and its quick release on the rear wheel, and a low-flange Shimano (the Seller’s claim) HUB with its quick release mechanism on the front. the “MAVIC” rims and “ENERGI” tubular tires are in good and workable condition (those Wheels were in use) also, I got a pair of nos spare tires (as the same type/brand) from the Seller for bonus; I totally paid equal with {84.00 $} for these tubular wheels.
I know that the Clincher Rims are much popular these days, but I’m restoring the vintage steel road bikes (specially PEUGEOT ones) in my man cave, so I think these wheels will be useful to me soon...🤟🏼

1 - 7 of 7 Posts