Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use a trunk type bike rack with their Subaru Outback wagon. I very rarely use this car to transport my bike but am heading on a road trip this weekend and don't have the room to put the bike inside.

Looks like if I use a trunk rack it will hit the glass and I'm a bit concerned about breaking the rear window. Don't want a roof rack @ $300 for one weekend.

Any experience out there?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I do it fairly frequently. My rack is designed for trunks so part of it rests on the bumper and part against the glass. That stuff (the glass) is pretty thick. I put my bike + my 2 kids bikes on it and have had no problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've done it before with three mountain bikes. I was skeptical at first but it seemed to do ok. It seemed that most of the weight ended up distributed between the lower two legs which were resting on the lower metal part of the hatch and the top two straps hooked into the top of the hatch.. The top two legs were on the glass. and the bottom two straps had just enough tension to keep the rack centered. I wouldn't recommend this as an everyday solution, but it worked well enough for us to get to Tsali with bikes and kayaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.