Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing Ultegra 6700 cassettes to Dura Ace 7900 cassettes. Would it be fine?
How about C9000 casettes?

I wonder whether would be any issue to use Ultegra crankset on the front and Dura Ace cassettes on the rear. Then, how about the chain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Between 6700 and 7900 anything works with anything except for front shifter and derailleur.

Anything to do with rear shifting can be mixed and matched between 6700 and 7900. 9000 is 11 speed so you can't use a 9000 cassette. Dura Ace cassettes are a waste of money IMO. They don't work any better and don't last as long and cost a lot more (though you're probably looking at close out sales so maybe not so expensive now). Stick with Ultegra for consumable parts.

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Completely fine. It's pretty common on new bikes to receive a cassette from a lower group level.

I don't see the purpose of a Dura Ace cassette. You save a measly ~50g over the Ultegra. And it wears out faster. For the price, you could buy 3-4 Ultegra cassettes!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Completely fine. It's pretty common on new bikes to receive a cassette from a lower group level.

I don't see the purpose of a Dura Ace cassette. You save a measly ~50g over the Ultegra. And it wears out faster. For the price, you could by 3-4 Ultegra cassettes!
^^^This^^^

With Dura Ace, the weight savings is obtained because titanium is used. Ti is a softer metal which the chain will grind away much quicker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to know.

I guess the difference of 40~50g is negligible for most people.
I recently happened to have a C7900 cassette, and my current bikes are with 105 and Ultegra 6700 cassettes.

Thanks.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I'm running the DA 7900 with Ultegra 6700 and no issues. I went with the DA because stupid Shimano doesn't offer 12-27 in the Ultegra version like they used to with 6600. Yes, I could have went down to 5700, but I only paid $100 for the DA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts