Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my phil bottom bracket on my fixed is completely shot, two years and more weather than most bikes see in a lifetime has left it looking like something dredged up from the bottom of the titanic. i should post a picture, when i removed it a month ago white dust poured out from the bb shell and you couldn't even tell what shape the bb had been before some wire brush wheel application... anyways, i have a nice square taper dura-ace bb from a couple of years ago, but it has no mouning cups. anyone know offhand if i can use the phil cups to mount the dura-ace bb?

as an aside, anyone know for sure what taper sugino 75 track cranks are? there are a few places on the internet that say they're campy taper, but, well, they don't cite a source and i don't believe them. thanks all -

- r.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I'm not sure about the PW cups w/ a Dura Ace bb, look at them side by side and compare the diameter of the outer bearing edges. I doubt it'd work as you would hear of more people just using shimano cups with PW bottom brackets instead of having to buy PW cups and the special tool.

The Sugino 75s (and Grand Mighties) have JIS taper, definitely not ISO/Campy taper. You can use the cheaper Shimano square taper BBs, the Sugino loose ball BB, another PW, or a Hatta Swan NJS BB. The cranks require a 109mm axle for a 42 mm chainline. I don't know where you found that other info but I usually use Business Cycles for all track related info searching.

I love my 75s, very stiff and the most affordable high end track crank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll post a pic, the spindle is probably ok but the spindle housing most definitely isn't going to scrub up. i wish, i actually paid full price for it. you should see it, it looks worm eaten, i think currently it's actually crumbling inside the bike. it's pretty amazing what a full pittsburgh year plus a nyc year did to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.