Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help a friend out with a problem. His Record 10 Rear Der, just exploded, it was apparently a failure of the carbon, and he can't afford to get another one currently.

I know that he has some 8-speed derailleurs that we could use, but I am a bit confused on compatibility. I have been reading up on CampyOnly, and Brandford Bike, and Campag's website.

According to Campag, you can use an 8s on a 9s drivetrain no problem, but you cannot use a 9s on a 10s drivetrain, according to Campag.

However reading on Branford Bike, you can use a 9s der on a 10s drivetrain, you just need to change out the pulleys for 10s ones, and you are all set.

So here is my question, by switching out the pulleys to 10s, can we use his 8s der on his Record 10 setup for now, or some other method that can be used? Also, he is a bit leery even when he can afford it, to going back to carbon on the rear der. Is there an full alloy der that can be used with this setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wildstar87 said:
His Record 10 Rear Der, just exploded, it was apparently a failure of the carbon
Warranty?

I don't have experience with 8/10 speed Campy gear, but if the chain will fit nicely over the rollers (ie when you've swapped in the 10sp ones), there will be no problem at all. Campagnolo say you cant use 9sp with 10sp cause the 10sp pulleys are narrower than 9's.

Replacement; Centaur? 50 grams more.... but how many $ cheaper?? Alloy, too.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wildstar87 said:
I am trying to help a friend out with a problem. His Record 10 Rear Der, just exploded, it was apparently a failure of the carbon, and he can't afford to get another one currently.

I know that he has some 8-speed derailleurs that we could use, but I am a bit confused on compatibility. I have been reading up on CampyOnly, and Brandford Bike, and Campag's website.

According to Campag, you can use an 8s on a 9s drivetrain no problem, but you cannot use a 9s on a 10s drivetrain, according to Campag.

However reading on Branford Bike, you can use a 9s der on a 10s drivetrain, you just need to change out the pulleys for 10s ones, and you are all set.

So here is my question, by switching out the pulleys to 10s, can we use his 8s der on his Record 10 setup for now, or some other method that can be used? Also, he is a bit leery even when he can afford it, to going back to carbon on the rear der. Is there an full alloy der that can be used with this setup?

Thanks!
An 8spd derailleur with 10spd pulleys will work with a 10spd drivetrain, but not perfectly. Some find the performance close enough not to matter, others can detect a degradation in performance. If it is just a temporary measure, then go ahead and swap the pulleys from the original 10spd derailleur into the 8spd derailleur.

All 10spd derailleur are interchangeable. In addition, all 2nd generation 9spd (2001 and later) derailleurs are interchangeable with 10spd (although for perfect compatibility you might want to swap pulleys). Currently, the highest level all metal derailleur is Centaur. If you can find one NOS, you can also use the full metal 2001-2004 Chorus 9spd or 10spd derailleur. Excel Sports is currently selling the all metal version of the Chorus 9spd derailleur.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info

I guess we will try it and see. Warranty won't happen as its been over a year already, and the local rep has said Campy USA won't do it. I think it is inexcusable, but I guess that happens.

Ended up taking out a few spokes on his 303s as well. I was always leery of carbon in the rear der mech, but that's just me.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard about this type of failure with the Record Carbon rear derailleurs? I am just wondering if this is a defect, or something that might be more touchy with this type of setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.