Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In last two years I have remarked many people installed bells on their bicycle. Why should I care about that?
yesterday i was riding my bike on the way back to my house. It was nice and quite.
Suddenly I started to hear a bicycle chain behind me. I saw a lady on my mirror who was ridding her road bike very fast. so what?
I continue riding on my pace but when she arrived closed to me she start ringing her bell which scared me like hell.
Why she did this? Does she think I never heard a bike bell?
After that other five bikers did the same thing. Are they nuts? Their bicycles are noise enough.
When I am on my car I do not honk another car when I pass it. Why a bicycle is more special.
So for this bike bell lovers, please stop doing this. It is useless. Do not scare the other bikers.
If you pass another cyclist concentrates to incoming cyclists, not on someone who is riding in front of you. The bells are scary and you can provoke accidents.
Use the bell for a rider who does not ride the bike properly.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Don't know where you live, but in many states, a bell is technically legally required. Most ignore it though. Most people yell out to people in front that they are going to pass them.

It's like turn signals. It's legally required, but there are people that don't use turn signals to make turns or change lanes.

You are supposed to use a bell to alert people that you're going to pass them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Gatineau, Quebec.
You miss my point. It is scary the bell sound and does not make the passing safer.
Why, to scary the rider?
Why should I care if someone is passing me?
Since I am keeping my line why they should ring the bell? When you pass a bicycle you should have enough experience how to do it. It is your responsibility.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Perhaps you need to explore whether you experienced some trauma in your childhood that made you so frightened of bells. I've never heard of anyone being scared by the gentle ding-ding of a bicycle bell. I have many times seen people frightened by a close-passing bicycle that they did not know was approaching. Proper use of a bell is a good way to avoid that.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
Suddenly I started to hear a bicycle chain behind me.
You may have heard something else, but you didn't hear the chain.

When I am on my car I do not honk another car when I pass it. Why a bicycle is more special.
Roads have specific lanes for vehicle passing. Vehicles are also required to have rear view mirrors, typically 3 of them. Bikes are not required to.

So for this bike bell lovers, please stop doing this. It is useless. Do not scare the other bikers.
Since you saw this person in your mirror, you really shouldn't have been so disturbingly surprised by a bell. Cyclists aren't going to stop using them, so I suggest you find some way to cope with it.

Use the bell for a rider who does not ride the bike properly.
How does someone behind you know if you're a proper bike rider?

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I live in Gatineau, Quebec.
You miss my point. It is scary the bell sound and does not make the passing safer.
Why, to scary the rider?
Why should I care if someone is passing me?
Since I am keeping my line why they should ring the bell? When you pass a bicycle you should have enough experience how to do it. It is your responsibility.
A bell is not scary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I understand you are a bell lover. Well in this case it is hard to explain to you.
In Canadian Capital Regions we have wide bicycle path with two lines very well marked. The path that I am using is going to a forest and is can fit 3 bicycles. trust me you do not need to ring. The city is maintaining the bike line and the side very well.
That person should know I am a proper rider because I am not sloppy, I am riding the bike close to the right side.
Chains are noise mechanical components and the wind friction is also noise.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Don't be Freudian. I have done two tours in Europe, over 5000 km each. Riding a bike should be a pleasure not to make useless noise.
No insult intended. I just have never heard anyone say they are frightened by a bicycle bell. Momentarily startled, perhaps, but not as much as by a shout or a close unexpected pass.

The world is full of useless noises, but contrary to your experience I think a bicycle bell is most often a useful one.

I don't have a bell on any of my bicycles, but I have been thinking about putting one on the bike I use for commuting. I think you have convinced me to do it.

Riding a bike is indeed a pleasure. Bonne chance.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
I have done two tours in Europe, over 5000 km each.
Ahhh so you're an expert!!! Then you know...

Rick Steves' Europe: Bicycle Touring in Europe
A bell is generally required by law in Europe, so you should have one on your bike — for giving a multilingual "Hi!" to other bikers as well as a "Look out, here I come!"

German Joys: The Meaning of Bicycle Bells
"But it's a mountain bike. I don't need a bell when I'm riding trails."
"You will not always be on trails. And it is the law. All bikes must have a bell. This is a crowded country.

And a little closer to home for you...
Ontario?s Bicycle Bell Law | Clarkeblog
There is a law in the Province of Ontario that states that “a bike must have a bell or horn in good working order.”

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
OP - I am surprised this is such a big deal to you. I don't know you from Adam. If I am overtaking you, I am going to give you warning for my own safety. You can have the greatest handling skills in the world, but if you don't know I am coming (I can't assume you hear or see me), I am going to make you aware of my presence. I regularly ride a very popular metropolitan bike path and I always give a quick ring to alert others to my presence. I can't tell you how many times despite my warning, I've had folks nearly take me out. And no, they were not startled, they simply ignored or didn't hear my alert. At least here in the US, the bell is a common courtesy. And based on the proliferation on bikes in other countries and cultures, I'd imagine in most places. Heck, I am thinking of going past just the basic ding-dong and get myself an air-horn for pedestrians and automobile traffic, as I am finding the bell less effective than I would like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your money, do whatever you want.when you are behind a rider using a bell may scare it because is unexpected. A fender is more useful than a bell. But I am going to install a bell just to answer bike to those bell riders.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
A fender is more useful than a bell.
The philosophizing is getting deep now. I'm really going to have to think about that one.

A chainsaw is more useful than a paintbrush.

Is that how it works, or am I on the wrong track here?

Reactions: headloss
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.