Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
I sitll have a pair on one of my mountain bikes, use it for running around/going to the gym stuff like that where I am going to get off the bike an walk because as we all know bike shoes don't walk real well...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Not sure if they still sell shoes that will take a cleat.
I still have my old Duegi 101's .

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Cory......oh Cory....

kdub said:
Does anyone here still use toe clip pedals?

Would using toe clips make one appears to be an odd ball by other cyclists?

There must still be a good demand for traditional toe clip pedals cuz there are alot still for sale on ebay and trying to win a pair is often a battle.
Cory will be along shortly to answer your question. If not, Cory's the boards leading proponent of toeclips, do a search on his posts.

I just came off a 2600 rider charity event and saw plenty of toe clips. Don't sweat it.

Scot

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
No, nobody uses toe clips. They are a complete waste of time, and should not be considered bicycle equipment. In fact, anyone who uses toe clips should be put on a blacklist and should never be allowed to ride a bicycle again. Recumbants and utility trikes excepted, of course.:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, they are kind of handy. I miss being able to walk in my cycling shoes. I used them until a few years ago. I'm glad I switched because my new shoes have much stiffer soles, and I can ride more comfortably now.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Got 'em on all but one bike, and that's just for show.

I just recently put clipless pedals on ONE of my bikes, a Rambouillet, for two reasons: I got a good deal on some Size 15 shoes, and I got sort of tired of people telling me how much faster/smoother/stronger I'd be "if you got some good pedals." I've ridden all my usual loops and courses with clipless and toe clips for years, and I don't go ANY faster, pedal any more smoothly or feel stronger with either one over the other.

Parenthetically, though, who gives a flying **** what other cyclists think? If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, then ask for advice. But why should anybody else control how you ride?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Same here

anthrax said:
I sitll have a pair on one of my mountain bikes, use it for running around/going to the gym stuff like that where I am going to get off the bike an walk because as we all know bike shoes don't walk real well...
Ditto, for all the same reasons.

·
I coulda did that myself
216 Posts
I ventured into clipless one time in the early 90's and decided it wasn't for me. In retrospect I probably didn't give myself much of a chance to get used to them. I've been trying to talk myself into trying them again.

I've been using toe clips for about 25 years. What I wouldn't give to be able to buy a new pair of Adidas Eddy Merckx shoes--the blue box also containing a separate bag holding the cleats and wood screws with which to attach them.

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw those eddy merckx adidas on ebay last week.. I was thinking of getting them but I have had bad experiences buying footwear on ebay (always fit too big) so I hestitated.

Actually aside from using toe clip pedals on your errand / rainy day bike; which is reasonable, what I want to know is if anyone put toe clip pedals on their modern bikes. I never seen any current high tech carbon fiber slope frame bikes with toe clips on. I'd like to see a clash of technology on a bike.

Speaking of technology clash, does anyone still use downtube shifters and aero brake levers; and I don't mean your old bike from 10 years ago or a TT bike, but your modern road bike. Post a picture if you do.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Girl Anachronism said:
I use them on my track bike. I commute/run errands/run around town on it and I like to be able to wear my street shoes.
same here

Clipless is my preference for fast riding tho, better pedal clearance, better able to pull circles, and I think the new shoes are stiffer and can be more comfy, - just my opinion

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
kdub said:
. Speaking of technology clash, does anyone still use downtube shifters and aero brake levers; and I don't mean your old bike from 10 years ago or a TT bike, but your modern road bike. Post a picture if you do.

oops sorry, I could'nt resist :p

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just received my new DA downtube shifters today and I bolted them on my Eddy Merckx frame. I realized because the MX Leader has an irregularly fat/oval tubing, the mounting adaptors do not sit flush with the tube and thus exposes an unsightly gap :(

I noticed your campy shifters do not need such adaptor.. I wish the Shimano would fit the same.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,892 Posts
Duegi's Ruled

I would still be riding clips and straps if they still made cleats for my Duegi's. When my cleats wore down to a nub I even wrote a letter to the Duegi distributor here in the states. I got a nice form letter back saying that my shoes were old and a warehouse in Colorado might have some (no luck). They sent me a catalog of their newer shoes. I liked them and getting in and out of them became second nature. Man, I miss those Duegi's

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Where do you even buy toe straps?

I went to Look clipless pedals in the 80's. However, good toe straps are very handy to have around. Of course, it also makes perfect sense to use them on the “town bike.” My stash of Alfredo Binda Extra straps is long gone. Do they still make them? If so, where do you buy them? For those who may not know, Alfredo Binda Extra straps were considered the last word in toe straps back in the day.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It just wouldn't be right to ride a full Super Record equipped 79 DeRosa Professional using anything other than proper titanium spindled Super Record quill pedals and Alfredo Binda straps.I alternate between cleated mesh Duegi's and Adidas Merckx shoes and I've been riding it that way ever since the bike was first built up some 27 years ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.