Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is actually a couple of questions in one.
First and foremost...is there a difference between ultegra shifters for a double v. a triple? If not is there anything you have to do to "set" it for double v. triple?

Now the problem:
I've just installed ultegra shifters on my bike (double). When in the larger chainring I start getting a cross chain noise when I'm in the 5th cog. According to Lennard Zinn I should be able to "feather" the derailer by shifting the lever until I hear a "soft click." The problem is that I have no such "soft click." Either that or my "soft" click is actually really loud and definitely shifts the chain.

I can "feather" using the "soft click" when I'm in the smaller chainring going towards the smaller cogs.

Zinn says that you can't feather a triple. Is that because the feathering mechanism is adjusted to be used for shifting instead or is that because the feathering mechanism IS the shifting.

Thanks for any info.

_42

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Ultegra 9sp shifters are the same for double or triple.

With the triple there are two detents (click stop positions), one on either side of the middle ring, you don't need either for a double.

There is also a trimming feature (not on first generation Ultegras) that allows the rider to slide the derailleur up to 5mm with a soft push on either shift lever.

In my opinion there should not be a need for trimming a well set up double, others will not agree.

Shimano instructions for setting up the shifters are pretty good. The Park tool web site also has good instructions.

~Al

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I own two Ultegra equipped bikes. A tandem with a triple crank and a road bike with a double crank. The shifters on both bikes are the same part number and no modifications are required to convert them from double to triple use.

My shifters actually have four positions. On the triple I have one for the granny ring, two for the middle, and one for the big ring. On the double I have it set up so that I can access two positions on each ring. Incidentally, I have Flight Deck computers on both bikes and the computers indicate chain ring changes that match the way that my bikes are set up.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Al1943 said:
Ultegra 9sp shifters are the same for double or triple.

With the triple there are two detents (click stop positions), one on either side of the middle ring, you don't need either for a double.

~Al
And I should have said that the two positions for the middle ring are in addition to the positions for the granny ring and the big ring, for a total of 4 positions, and then there is the additional trimming on later models of Ultegra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what is trimming?

whoa i had no idea there was such complexity in these shifters. I had never noticed that there were more than 1 position for each ring. What's the purpose of having multiple ones? and what is the exact definition of "trimming?" I've heard it before but never really understood what it means.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,439 Posts
Trimming explained

In many setups, it is either necessary or advantageous to be able to slightly adjust the front derailleur, typically to eliminate chain rub on the derailleur cage when the chain is on one end or the other of the cassette. It also can help with faster shifting. As an example, if you "overshift" the front derailleur into the farthest out position, the chain may rub the inner cage of the derailleur, but your shift to the big ring will be faster. You overshift, and then click back one trim position to eliminate the rub. Alternatively, you shift into the big ring, and then trim to the most outward position as you shift the chain to the small end of the cassette. Similar issues when shifting to the small ring. Campy does not have the "big click" of Shimano front shifters - you just have a series of uniformly spaced clicks. Two or three clicks gets you to the big ring, or down to the small ring, and you can use the single click to trim the position. With Shimano, you have to set up the FD so that there are double clicks available in both rings. It may take a little fiddling to make this happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts