Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first cyclocross bike, a sweet little LeMond Poprad. It, like most cyclocross bikes I've seen, came with canti brakes. I'm a bigger fellow, so on my first few rides I was definitely missing the stopping power of discs or v brakes. Now I've had some adjustment issues and a stripped tensioning screw, so I am going to have to replace or repair the front brakes at least. I am thinking about just installing some v brakes instead (front and rear). Is the some reason why you don't typically see V's on cross bikes? Weight only? I would gladly sacrifice a few grams for the added stopping power. Any thoughts/adivce is appreciated.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
They don't offer as much mud clearance. They require the pads to be run closer to the rim. They require a different amount of cable pull, and thus require adapters (Travel Agents) to work with standard levers. Travel Agents come with another list of downsides. There are V-brake specific drop bar levers available, but not with integrated shifters.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
ISUPsyclones said:
I just got my first cyclocross bike, a sweet little LeMond Poprad. It, like most cyclocross bikes I've seen, came with canti brakes. I'm a bigger fellow, so on my first few rides I was definitely missing the stopping power of discs or v brakes. Now I've had some adjustment issues and a stripped tensioning screw, so I am going to have to replace or repair the front brakes at least. I am thinking about just installing some v brakes instead (front and rear). Is the some reason why you don't typically see V's on cross bikes? Weight only? I would gladly sacrifice a few grams for the added stopping power. Any thoughts/adivce is appreciated.
The answers you will get:

- You just don't know how to adjust them
- Racing: you don't need to stop, just scrub off some speed.
- You ever seen V-brakes on the CX bikes in Belgium?
- etc.

My experience: I also weigh a lot and do not race. I've tried cantis, Vs with Travel Agent and mini-Vs. All about the same. Work OK for a fast run on the local trails as long as nothing requires you to stop. If you come around a blind corner and find a 3-wide group of cyclists discussing politics, be prepared for a little off-trail excursion through the trees. On a wet day at an intersection with a truck running the red light - your dead. The only way to stop is with discs. YMMV.

TF

EDIT: Forgot the mud thing. Also remember: cyclocross= racing only. - TF

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, since we can't just 'ride cyclocross' anymore, you are more than welcome to join me in psycho-cross....it pretty much picks up where the roadie types leave off...it encorporates anything FUN that can be done on an 'road style' off-road bike, ie29er w/ dropbars. I've found that V's or disc are pretty darn helpfull. If you set them up right, v's are as good as the $$$ avid mech. disc brakes w/ the exception of water crossings, very small rocks embed in the rim pads.
If you have v's and can't stop on a wet road any better than sidepulls, get a new mechanic, stopping on a decsent setup is determined by the slippery asphault, not the brakes.

Best bet is to have a mechanic who uses them, AND recommends them, install them for you. If not, it is a bit of a learning curve. ALWAYS use the adjustable travel agent...I can give you some install tips if you want.

*if your frame is flexy, the v's may spread the stays/fork, a brake arch will fix this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same boat so i switched and love em. I am not a euro pro racing in world cups so i am not terribly worried. When I weigh less I can always switch back. These allow me to come harder into sections and brake later. YeahI need so much more practice, but for now it makes me better.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Avid SD7s and Drop-V levers

I'm an OFB and I'm delighted with my most recent commuter/cross setup - Avid SD7s, kool stop pads & Cane Creek Drop-V levers. I was considering going with discs but now I don't think I'll bother.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Or you can just do this..

Chop, Chop V-brakes

Much more leverage than standard canti's, straight contact in between the rim and the pads do to the parallelogram for "Rim crunching" brake power as oppose to a arch (not such a big deal) and they work just fine with road bike levers.

Then again the Paul canti's work equally well if not better and you bike will look Pimp as hell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.