Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the thing: I custom built my own bike. I got the handle bars from a shop who happened to have a set off a kids bike: Apart from the cross-section attaching it to front of the frame they flare out like a 'v' straight. Then my bike was stolen. Now I'm trying to rebuild and replace what was stolen only I don't know what to call the handle bars or where to look for them. Has anyone ever seen handle bars like this?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Has anyone ever seen handle bars like this?
I think I saw a kid with a set of these the other day, those bars must be really special. Wonder why they haven't caught on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No These handle bars are almost no bend

The ones that were stolen from me were almost likea "U" except the the two sides flare out at an angle more like a "V" than a "U" ; Understand?

They go straight up; That's why I call them "V": handle bars because the angle of a "V" is the angle which they flare out Take the horizontal part : shorten it to only 1 ft: 5-8 inches on each side of the center and add it to a "V" and that's my handlebars

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Can you add the brakes and mirrors to the picture?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The point is the mirrors are almost exactly eye level: you can see behind you without losing sight of what's in front of you: no blind spots, no accidents. You ride standing straight up: NO bending of your spine at all. This allows you to use your upper body for power up a hill. Using the handlebars as leverage anyone can do a wheelyfrom a standing start: that's how much extra leverage and power the handlebars give you. You also avoid back problems which many people suffer from by not bending over. I'm the only one who drives a bike this way and it was stolen from me because the design is too original and too intelligent.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
duh - just finished reading the thread and see he did what I suggested - a drawing! Check out websites like Harris Cyclery, Benscycle.com, etc. - they often have the more unusual handlebars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also... the brakes are in front not in back of the bars: this means you fall on the brakes in an emergency, not pull on the brakes. This means the faster you're going, the faster you can brake making braking safer. You don't even have to grip the handlebars while driving: you grip the brake handles. This means you're ready to apply brakes all the time and there is no reaction time between being aware of danger and braking. You just lean forward and your body weight does the rest. Of course you can grip the handlebars and apply the brakes the normal way also. The seat is an extra wide seat taken from a tricycle and it is comfy and doesn't drive up your assbone and leave you sore no matter how many hours you're biking. I hate those stupid modern seats. Any more questions?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.