Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Mallorca in a few weeks, and am thinking about renting a road bike. Prices range from €20- 30/day plus drop-off. I would need to bring pedals, helmet, clothing, etc...

My question--- has anyone done anything like this before? Does it disrupt the flow of the vacation (with a family)? Is it worth the effort to bring the extras? Or should I just drink on the beach all day?

Last year I dragged a bike through Denmark, Germany, and the Netherlands only to ride it for the one or two days of decent weather on a road trip. It was NOT worth the effort. I wouldn't even consider a bike rental if my in-laws were not coming along.

On a different note--- anyone ever been to Alcúdia? Is it relatively family oriented?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Kind of depends

Are there really good places to ride? (I have this vague recollection that pro teams train there in the late winter, so maybe there are). And do you reasonably expect to have some blocks of time when the family will be occupied and you won't be needed?

I've done something like it a couple of times. On a family trip to Maui a few years ago I rented a road bike to do the big climb up Haleakala. That day was scheduled into the deal from the beginning, and I didn't do much riding other than that (well, that was plenty for me).

On another family-reunion type trip to a resort in Oregon, I rented a bike for a week and did several rides of moderate length. But the wife and kids had lots of in-laws and cousins to occupy their time, so I wasn't missed. Your in-law situation may serve similarly.

So I guess I'd certainly consider it. Helmet, shoes, pedals, saddle and minimal clothing (1 jersey, 1 pair shorts) don't take up that much luggage space.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
I've been able to work biking into many of my non-biking family vacations. For example: when we went to the Black Hills one year we made plans one day to go to Wind Cave. I said to the family, "hey I'll meet you there", left while they were "enjoying" the morning in the cabin, beat them there, stood in the line for tour tickets and were able to go straight into the tour when they arrivied. It ended up being a solution that not only worked but was better than all of us showing up at once and burning the 90 minute wait for the tour as a group. I've used the "hey, I'll meet you there" enough times that it gets suggested to me these days.

Scot

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
With me I have always had a problem with rental from the stand point of fit. I always have to call out and make sure they have an XL frame available and usually have to put a deposit to hold it so it doesn't go riding off. If they do have one available I don't usually have a problem otherwise.

· Registered
838 Posts
Do it if and only if it won't detract from the rest of your family's vacation. But don't do it if it means that everybody is going to be sitting around waiting for you to come back from your rides.

And yes, take your pedals and helmet.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That might work for you, but I have a tendency to get lost or have a mechanical that causes me to completely blow my timeline ;)

I once tried the I'll meet you there thing to catch a ferry--- and flatted on the way. I had originally cut it quite close. I ended up setting a new speed record (next ferry was scheduled to leave four hours later).

On a different note, nothing freaks me out like caves. I tried a cave tour in the black hills, but soon discovered it was not for me. I don't have any particular phobias--- except maybe caves. When I saw a group of 30 people getting ready to go in, and I smelled the foul air, and I thought about being pinched in a narrow passage where there are too many people to go forward or back, I decided I needed a refund.

Scot_Gore said:
I've been able to work biking into many of my non-biking family vacations. For example: when we went to the Black Hills one year we made plans one day to go to Wind Cave. I said to the family, "hey I'll meet you there", left while they were "enjoying" the morning in the cabin, beat them there, stood in the line for tour tickets and were able to go straight into the tour when they arrivied. It ended up being a solution that not only worked but was better than all of us showing up at once and burning the 90 minute wait for the tour as a group. I've used the "hey, I'll meet you there" enough times that it gets suggested to me these days.

Scot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.