Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to figure out where to go on a beach type vacation (wife and I). Would prefer to travel last week of April to first week of May to hopefully avoid high school kids. Looking for someplace with a beach, warmish water, laid back atmosphere. We're mid 20's, no kids, but we don't party really or gamble and aren't really drinkers.

We enjoyed our honeymoon trip about 2.5-3yrs ago, went down to an all-inclusive resort for adults only that was south of Playa del Carmen. Really liked it except for the rocky beach at the resort (Aventura Spa Palace - w/ Palace resorts).

We'd really like to be able to possibly take a little sailboat (like a sunfish or those really small cat's) out. "Sandals" looks like a nice all-inclusive type place but it's a little more pricey than what we're wanting to spend. We'd also really like an ocean view from the balcony, as we enjoyed our time just reading books in the morning on our past trip out there w/ the sound of the ocean. We're also open to non all inclusive type places as long as places to eat are within close walking distances. We need a relaxing vacation with a little bit of fun, not a ton of fun and no relaxing. Looking to do 5-7days.

We've never done a cruise but we both don't think it'd fit us too well, or at least they don't sound all that appealing to either of us.

Another idea is to fly down to Orlando and do 3 days at theme parks, then try and hit a relaxing place on the beach nearby for 3 or so nights. But I have no clue where would be a cool/nice place to stay for the beach part.

Any helpful thoughts or ideas? I search online but there are just so many options I just don't know.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
The Travel Channel usually has "Best Vacation Spots" type shows. There are some pretty cool and unique locations out there.

I've always wanted to go to Bora Bora.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The "Couples" resorts in Jamaica are really nice and all-inclusive. Very laid back. I would recommend Couples Negril. Also you might check Belize.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Costa Rica

Great beaches, plus lots of nature, rainforest, volcanoes etc. if you're into that kind of thing. Great diving too. Also fairly close, if you're on the east coast. I've been to PdC, this is much better.

Michael
---------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Vieques Island PR

That is the place, you want to talk about laid back. I can't express how laid back it was, I've been to a lot of beaches but that was awesome. There is an Inn called Tamarindo? I'll check and you can get a hopper flight from San Juan Airport. It's considered the most virgin of the Virgin Islands for a reason.

http://www.vieques-island.com/

Awesome place, prices are reasonable, beaches and water pristine. Snorkling, 4 wheel drive exploration, kayaking in luminescent bay, sailing. Oh and fried plantains and really fresh seafood. It's not a package vacation but then I've always felt those to be too confining and I don't like crowded beaches.

I can only find one picture at the moment from my trip, this me and a friend in the pool at the Hacienda Tamarindo.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
phil. said:
Trying to figure out where to go on a beach type vacation (wife and I). Would prefer to travel last week of April to first week of May to hopefully avoid high school kids. Looking for someplace with a beach, warmish water, laid back atmosphere. We're mid 20's, no kids, but we don't party really or gamble and aren't really drinkers.

We enjoyed our honeymoon trip about 2.5-3yrs ago, went down to an all-inclusive resort for adults only that was south of Playa del Carmen. Really liked it except for the rocky beach at the resort (Aventura Spa Palace - w/ Palace resorts).

We'd really like to be able to possibly take a little sailboat (like a sunfish or those really small cat's) out. "Sandals" looks like a nice all-inclusive type place but it's a little more pricey than what we're wanting to spend. We'd also really like an ocean view from the balcony, as we enjoyed our time just reading books in the morning on our past trip out there w/ the sound of the ocean. We're also open to non all inclusive type places as long as places to eat are within close walking distances. We need a relaxing vacation with a little bit of fun, not a ton of fun and no relaxing. Looking to do 5-7days.

We've never done a cruise but we both don't think it'd fit us too well, or at least they don't sound all that appealing to either of us.

Another idea is to fly down to Orlando and do 3 days at theme parks, then try and hit a relaxing place on the beach nearby for 3 or so nights. But I have no clue where would be a cool/nice place to stay for the beach part.

Any helpful thoughts or ideas? I search online but there are just so many options I just don't know.
Playa del Camen area is really nice--We usually stay at the Gala resort there. nice beach and decent food. It's all inclusive so you can use all the sailboats and such. This is a family resort though so there will be some kids there.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
KenB said:
The Travel Channel usually has "Best Vacation Spots" type shows. There are some pretty cool and unique locations out there.

me too...my sister went there on her honeymoon a year ago--I'm guessing way too expensive though if he says Sandals is already out of the price range.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Any tips on how to get the best airfare price? Likely to depart from XNA which is a smaller airport in NW Arkansas, and have to hop to DFW to actually get anywhere.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
phil. said:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Any tips on how to get the best airfare price? Likely to depart from XNA which is a smaller airport in NW Arkansas, and have to hop to DFW to actually get anywhere.
How far of a drive is it? Might be worth the $$ to drive there. You aren't gonna get a good fare from a small airport.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Hey Ken

that's the Moana Beach Club on Bora Bora (unless it has changed names). I stayed there in the late 80's in those huts. they have cheaper huts on the beach as well. they planted little sections of coral right under the living room coffee table (glass) so fish gather there at night. back porch drops straight into the water with an outdoor shower. really amazing.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5hr drive each way, plus we'd have to pay for parking. I agree though, if it's $200 or so per ticket extra to go through the local airport it might be worth the drive. The flight would be 1hr each way to/from DFW + probably 1hr of layover in between flights, so I'd only save 3hrs on each leg versus driving.

Does anyone here use a travel agent or does everyone just book stuff through the web?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
maybe since you are in the SE

I'd say Costa Rica, Yucatan or Belize baby!!!!!! yeaaah

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
KenB said:

My wife and I honeymooned in Bora Bora and Moorea, and it was FANTASTIC.

My vote, though, is always for the Spanish riviera.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Carlsbad,Ca. Close to San Diego. There's a Best Western Beach Terrence inn. Its the only hotel ON the beach. The front building are suites,not fancy but ok. You open the slider on the balcony and you can hardly hear each other from the waves. You can walk into town,maybe a 5 min walk and there's serveral pretty good places to eat, bike rentals and board rentals. Its pretty kickback. We just sit on the beach,bring our lunch down and eat,go into the heated pool,back to the beach.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Captiva Island, Florida

South Seas Plantation. It would be economical, short distance. Not as exotic as the others mentioned but a great place to get away.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
shokhead said:
Carlsbad,Ca. Close to San Diego. There's a Best Western Beach Terrence inn. Its the only hotel ON the beach. The front building are suites,not fancy but ok. You open the slider on the balcony and you can hardly hear each other from the waves. You can walk into town,maybe a 5 min walk and there's serveral pretty good places to eat, bike rentals and board rentals. Its pretty kickback. We just sit on the beach,bring our lunch down and eat,go into the heated pool,back to the beach.
Carlsbad is nice, but if you want to swim anywhere but the pool, you better be a polar bear. The water is COLD in April; usually 60-65 degrees.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
morrison said:
Carlsbad is nice, but if you want to swim anywhere but the pool, you better be a polar bear. The water is COLD in April; usually 60-65 degrees.
Hell its cold in the summer. LOL
Sidenote,i'm 53 and at last,i'm going to Maui{4 nights} and Oahu{6 nights}in Oct. for my 30th. Hope the water is warm.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try St. John, USVI

Beautiful Island, most of it is a state park, laid back, plenty of sailing available and you can take a ferry to St Thomas if you want shopping.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts