Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the value of :

-black 2007 limited edition Brooks Swallow. Never mounted or used.
- honey 2004 limited edition Brooks Swallow. Lightly used.

Both are hand stitched numbered and I have the certification paperwork. And original boxes complete.

i've seen so,e values on line that are crazy.
Any ideas?

Len

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
The problem with those is I've seen them go for as high as $500, I think that way too obsurd! then imagine how you would feel if you went down and scraped the saddle up? But this place: Brooks - Swallow - Limited Edition - Red [100-340-23] : • Milwaukee Bicycle Co. • Ben's Cycle Has them in red for almost half the price. At that price I consider to be too high as well, but it depends on why you want that saddle for your bike, is it a period correct saddle? is it because you like the looks? is it because that kind of money for a saddle is simply pocket change to you and just want it? Personally I don't think the saddle is worth it and I like Brooks, I own two of them a B17 Ti and a Swift Ti, but those two saddles I got 8 to 15 years or so ago depending on model and their prices were much more reasonable, but since Brooks has suddenly became a fashion symbol the prices skyrocketed, today I would seriously question the logic to get one, though a huge benefit is they out last other saddles by at least 10 to 1, so some consideration would have to be taken into for that. I rarely go down on a bike so that isn't a concern but that possibility is always there, and to destroy a $270 saddle 6 months, a year, two years after getting it would be tough on the average rider.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
I think those limited editions are meant for display bikes only ... there is a little note on the bottom of the certification :wink:

I had a Swift before and decided to sell it as it was too expensive to keep and use. Pity as it would have been nice to just keep hold of it ...

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Looking at the bay, seems the value is somewhere between $400 and the $900 brooks will sell you one at for the 2007 Black, and $300 and $500 for the honey. Any advice on how to list it on eBay to maximize value? Price, reserve? Etc.

Thanks

len.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all who responded.

·
Super Moderator
41,374 Posts
Thanks. Looking at the bay, seems the value is somewhere between $400 and the $900 brooks will sell you one at for the 2007 Black, and $300 and $500 for the honey. Any advice on how to list it on eBay to maximize value? Price, reserve? Etc.

Thanks

len.
Len, I don't know where you're getting your advice, but trust me, those Brooks saddles are practically worthless; the leather decomposes after a couple of seconds out of the box (the process is similar to how carbon fiber assplodes upon being exposed to scrutiny.) Send them to me, and I'll be happy to dispose of them in an environmentally-sound manner for you. No need to thank me, I'm a giver, what can I say?

I'm PM you my address.

[Seriousness-er on the e-bay: Maximum value comes from 1) good photos; 2) accurate descriptions, using NOS/NIB as appropriate in the titles, since many search using those filter words; and 3) deciding what's your absolute walk-away price--this becomes your reserve, if you use one. #3 is probably the most important thing, as you probably knew.

Many here report that e-bay is not as lucrative as it once was, with too many non-payers, etc., but as thin as the market for expensive bike saddles are, it still seems like the best way to reach interested potential customers.]

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
The leather decomposes in seconds after it's taken out of the box? Well lets see, my oldest Brooks is 13 or 14 years old no problems yet. Funny thing, that saddle has out lasted 5 or 6 other plastic saddles. The other funny thing, people are riding on Brooks saddle a great deal older then mine. Let me tell you, that Brooks is worth more used then any racing saddle is used.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
The leather decomposes in seconds after it's taken out of the box? Well lets see, my oldest Brooks is 13 or 14 years old no problems yet. Funny thing, that saddle has out lasted 5 or 6 other plastic saddles. The other funny thing, people are riding on Brooks saddle a great deal older then mine. Let me tell you, that Brooks is worth more used then any racing saddle is used.
View attachment 277522

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.